Need a Reasonable diagnosis

JR_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor hippo tang is in quarantine and has already gone through his copper treatment as well as a round of general cure. This appeared this morning. For sure not Ich as it looks nothing like ich in person. Each of these spots has some length to them.

It looks as if he has skin tags peeling off of him

0467A424-7A3D-48E0-847C-A81DC06EB345.jpeg 4BA2E628-C5AE-4054-9D4C-10BBAEE21072.jpeg 07407EDC-B234-4ADB-96A9-AAACC264D3AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Totally understand what your seeing!

I’ve been working on an adopted hippo since April in the same situation. It wasn’t ich or velvet. It was not contagious.
There will be good days and very bad days. Don’t give up on this hippo, it will get better!
4E0E8D4B-8853-4CAF-A230-7A9C6B3F1D4D.jpeg

(There are 4 pages of my hippo journey on another forum.)

OP
OP
J

JR_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea what is going on with it? or things I should do? Sky is the limit as this fish is still quarantined.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hippo has good weight and doesn’t look like HLLE issues.

Here’s my opinion and experience:
If your confident in your Qt method (copper, ttm, cp, prazi...) and the hippo has areas/spots that look like your photo or mine, this condition is related to STRESS & weak immune system.

Feed varied/high quality small amounts all day 5x.
Make sure it’s getting a small piece of nori daily (add selcon to nori).
Alternate 1 wk on 1 wk off of adding beta glucan to food.
Feed it fresh clam/mussels.

Keep Qt water pristine in the biggest Qt tank you have.

OP
OP
J

JR_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you fwd just to check that box?
(It’s not flukes.)

Currently heating some water in a bucket to dip. But I dont believe its flukes either. I'm pretty stumped to be honest.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown had something similar. I think it was lymphocytosis which is an immune system issue.

@Big G suggested Beta Glucan which I added to the food. I got my fish out of the copper and it cleared up in about a week and a half.

You may also want to do a freshwater dip to see if anything falls off to make sure its not flukes.

I Tagged Big G because he is one of the best with diseases.

OP
OP
J

JR_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is it’s Qt?
Any fish in with it?
Are you finished Qt of all other fish?

20g Long, only other fish currently in the system with it is a diamond goby. I was gonna wait another week before i transferred the fish to the display.

I will say. The hippo tang swims alot when there is food present but other than that it likes to just chill and lay around a lot. you know the whole "play dead" act that they do.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g Long, only other fish currently in the system with it is a diamond goby. I was gonna wait another week before i transferred the fish to the display.

I will say. The hippo tang swims alot when there is food present but other than that it likes to just chill and lay around a lot. you know the whole "play dead" act that they do.
Mine was in a 20g Qt with a melanarus.
Now in 30g with sand,rocks, macro algae and it’s black molly buds....and it’s looking better each day.

You see any flashing? On bad days those areas itch like crazy. I think of this situation like an itchy rash or stress related/ immune system related skin disorder.

I send you a pm.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor hippo tang is in quarantine and has already gone through his copper treatment as well as a round of general cure. This appeared this morning. For sure not Ich as it looks nothing like ich in person. Each of these spots has some length to them.

It looks as if he has skin tags peeling off of him

0467A424-7A3D-48E0-847C-A81DC06EB345.jpeg 4BA2E628-C5AE-4054-9D4C-10BBAEE21072.jpeg 07407EDC-B234-4ADB-96A9-AAACC264D3AF.jpeg
Hello! We've been seeing this a lot lately and almost always after the fish has just finished going through copper. It's a viral gram positive bacterial infection. Antibiotics don't "usually" help but feeding high quality foods + vitamins (prefer Beta Glucan), pristine water quality, low stress environment and some time for the fish's immune system to deal with the infection.
Check out this thread post #14 and especially the second paragraph

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 65 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 82 50.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back