New IM 150 EXT build. Diving into the deep end of the pool

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of progress yesterday. Rock scape is done. My strategy was to stand rocks up on ends and create TP like structures. This means there is minimal contact points between the rock and the glass, so minimal places for detritus buildup. It also creates all kinds of caverns to swim through and hide in, and should allow for maxim flow.
IMG_8601.jpeg

IMG_8600.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_8604.jpeg

IMG_8603.jpeg

IMG_8606.jpeg

IMG_8607.jpeg

The supporting structure is now complete. You could park a truck in my dining room.

IMG_8608.jpeg

IMG_8609.jpeg

IMG_8610.jpeg

And finally, water!

image.jpg
Man, I like the brace idea you built for the tank really clever! Also your aquascape looks good in your tank, lots of room for fish to swim around in and coral growth

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could mail a couple horizontal boards for sway strength and add a couple sheets of plywood for extra storage on your floor support. That’s what I did.

nail, not mail :p
Already planning on it thanks to your thread!

I run mine with a trickle down the second and just below the emergency. It will take some adjusting until it builds up a biofilm in the pipes. I will take a pic when I get home tonight.
I do not run the supplied pump. I run a Tunze 1073.060.
I adjusted the 2 ball valves and then the gate to get it stable.
Pics would be great!

I just got the success SDC 9.0 return pump ready to go. You have ball valves on both primary and secondary? I’m planning on a gate on the primary and open secondary and emergency.

Attachments

• IMG_8617.jpeg
    IMG_8617.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left mine be. I run their Mighty XL at 70% and the drain in not fully open. Adjusted to about 1/2 way between primary and secondary and I don’t hear it. Sometimes I need to slightly tweak it closed/open more after a water change but just adjust it till you don’t get the vortex above the primary and keep it below the secondary. It will take a couple hours to properly adjust the first time.
That’s pretty much how my current tank is, minus an extra emergency pipe. The fluctuation in water level is insane. It’s likely just due to the Red Sea diaphragm valve, but I was really hoping to have a solid bean animal to avoid and unforeseen issues. Yalls experience makes me feel better.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already planning on it thanks to your thread!

Pics would be great!

I just got the success SDC 9.0 return pump ready to go. You have ball valves on both primary and secondary? I’m planning on a gate on the primary and open secondary and emergency.
Ball valves are only on the 2 returns.
Gate valve on the primary. The other 2 are open. I will get a better pic tomorrow when lights are full on with the top off.
20240531_192437.jpg

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 ball valve for the short side of my return. I hope to be mostly plumbed tomorrow.

I think I’ll try to leave the primary as is with no standpipe, add a U pip to the secondary with a breather hose and leave the emergency standpipe as is and see how that works.

Back