Nitrite stuck on 1.0, help?

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been cycling a 60 liters tank for about 5 weeks now, but my nitrite is stuck on 1.0 for about 1,5 weeks now.
My ammonia is consistently 0 for about 2-3 weeks allready & my nitrite used to be higher (2.0 to 3.0)

I used pre cycled wet rock from a running tank at the LFS.
I allready had a phase with brown rusty algea and there are still some left on my live sand.

Should i just keep waiting or is something wrong?
I think it’s weird that it started going down but now it stopped for 1,5 weeks allready.

keithmeseroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're nitrites are dropping than it will go away eventually. Takes a lot longer in saltwater for the tank to cycle. My first tank took about 6 weeks to full cycle. Just give it time.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been cycling a 60 liters tank for about 5 weeks now, but my nitrite is stuck on 1.0 for about 1,5 weeks now.
My ammonia is consistently 0 for about 2-3 weeks allready & my nitrite used to be higher (2.0 to 3.0)

I allready had a phase with brown rusty algea and there are still some left on my live sand.

I think it’s weird that it started going down but now it stopped for 1,5 weeks allready.
Best advice is to simply stop testing for it and ignore it.

Nitrite is harmless, and even established tanks will show some level under some conditions.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites aren’t the same issue in saltwater as they are in fresh. As long as your tank Is clearing ammonia you’re good for starting to add livestock. Some folks do a big water change just to clear out the system a bit.

If these rocks were from a big tank at the LFS where they’re kept wet they’re probably cycled before you got them and should stay cycled as long as you didn’t let them dry out.

Chances are this is test error, as you must have the bacteria in there for it to be converting the higher concentrations of nitrites.

Can you post a pic of your rock/tank?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FuriuzReef
I wrote this for tanks like yours. because no other cycle training material mentions this crucial detail which makes your cycle different than all the others

:)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for updated cycling science readers:

benthic growth cycle completion cue from post #1:

brown rusty algea. his cycle is 100% determined off wording, factoring no test levels whatsoever.

any substrate that has new growths on it, pigmented reef growths, has been underwater longer than it takes for nitrifying species to adhere to the surfaces.

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If you used precycled rock, you were likely cycled 5 weeks ago.

It’s certainly time for first fish

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's the trouble with today's cycle training from 1998. nobody is direct anymore

everything has been a ho-hum on the fence open-ended wait for cycling per today's major sources, yet here we are claiming exact ready dates. there are exacting ways to cycle reefs nowadays, vs waiting for 30-60 days like the old rules trained.

reef cycle training needs the updated stuff printed, someone needs to do a published article on it. Mention nitrite neutrality, mention skip cycling, mention that no reef tank cycle stalls/that was a sales ploy etc

who will write that? Our hobby needs new cycle training, something that mentions the need for disease preps well above concerns over ammonia control.

old cycling was all about ammonia fear, that has never manifested in any thread we can find.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more importantly

look what we just did free of charge

we didn't need an expensive dna sampling + wait time to tell him about his bacterial status, we just linked 60 similar tanks to his to do the introduction to skip cycling.

in our hobby, people want your cash, making you think bacterial testing is required

it's not

can you post pics as requested, they are expected to show live rock from a pet store.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9573.jpeg

This is how my tank looks like right now after 5 weeks. The reddish brown algea comes and goes. I never had green algea except the little bit you see below on the windows.

Should i do a ammonia dosing test?

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for updated cycling science readers:

benthic growth cycle completion cue from post #1:

brown rusty algea. his cycle is 100% determined off wording, factoring no test levels whatsoever.

any substrate that has new growths on it, pigmented reef growths, has been underwater longer than it takes for nitrifying species to adhere to the surfaces.
I do not understand what you mean by this

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock from the LFS is actually “fake” rock wich they cycled in there aquariums where they also keep fish, snails, real rocks, etc… i bought it wet straight out of that aquarium and took it home and placed it within an hour.

The rock is called “dutch reef rock” similar to real reef rock.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock from the LFS is actually “fake” rock wich they cycled in there aquariums where they also keep fish, snails, real rocks, etc… i bought it wet straight out of that aquarium and took it home and placed it within an hour.

The rock is called “dutch reef rock” similar to real reef rock.
Your tank is cycled. Add a fish or 2.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No testing required, because you can see myriad examples of skip cycling in the link provided and there isn’t any testing since live rock was simply moved from a pet store to home, that doesn’t undo the original cycle from the pet store.

Even if I didn’t know your rock came from there, your second clue that the cycle was done was covered in detail in post #8

Your tank had growths on the rock that only happen when the rocks are cycled. We can tell your rocks are done cycling by two core clues in your description.

Your cycle was done when you set the rocks in the tank.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No testing required, because you can see myriad examples of skip cycling in the link provided and there isn’t any testing since live rock was simply moved from a pet store to home, that doesn’t undo the original cycle from the pet store.

Even if I didn’t know your rock came from there, your second clue that the cycle was done was covered in detail in post #8

Your tank had growths on the rock that only happen when the rocks are cycled. We can tell your rocks are done cycling by two core clues in your description.

Thank you for your help, should i add corals together with the fish or wait with that? Some people even say to add corals first to see how they react?

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you seen the picture btw?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they look great

Since your rocks match the 100 other examples of skip cycles from that thread in post 7 I added your link to the collection. You built a fine skip cycle reef.

Question

Did anyone at the pet store try and sell you bottle bac along with the rocks, or did they know those were full skip cycle rocks

Back