Nothing in this hobby works!!! New Neptune ATO pump failure

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting to get sick of this hobby. get home from work trip, sumps running dry tank looks like a flipp'n jaccuzi.
Neptune ATO pmup v2 looks like insulation cracked at the pump.
Do I buy another pump?
reviews look like they don't last.
Is there an alternate pump that can be used with Neptune?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
starting to get sick of this hobby. get home from work trip, sumps running dry tank looks like a flipp'n jaccuzi.
Do I buy another pump?
heck the pumps last longer than the opticals …
yes and No to alternate pump,
Yes being you could sorta rig a standard pump with on/off logic based on your opticals being open/closed (maxi jet maybe)
No if you want to use that frustrating 1 link connector that only a someone with leprechaun dexterity can manage

OP
OP
NeedMoreReef

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)Oh gosh. I’m not tech savvy to say the least. Grew up without computers.
Hope the opticals don’t fail I thought that was it’s saving grace!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
:)Oh gosh. I’m not tech savvy to say the least. Grew up without computers.
Hope the opticals don’t fail I thought that was it’s saving grace!
the v1’s were flaky, the v2’s look/work better

what I did was upgrade my system to either/both those cubes or a LLS-4 …the LLS being primary with a magnetic cube thingy as backup placed at some level short of sump overflow
I removed the opticals from that float apparatus

As far as programming you could sorta just copy the ATO program and sub in a outlet in lieu of the pmup
…of course being mindful of the latency between the opticals registering as open/closed …there is some delay so you might want to program in a run time statement/limit
…someone with better apex dialog might help, I know what to do, just can’t verbalize it well

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely don't like the trend the hobby is going with regards to equipment that doesn't last or otherwise is built cheaply. It seems we used to have fairly bullet proof stuff - AC motors that just worked (but made noise and heat), skimmers that were bullet proof, lights that just plugged in without needing a phD in home networking, etc.

Now everything is bluetooth, and/or internet enabled, nothing works together unless you buy it all from the same company (which mean its inevitably garbage and not best of breed), etc, If the hardware doesn't fail, then the software probably will. Its hard to find good products that "just work". I generally choose top of the line everything because I appreciate things that work and don't break (and I can afford it) - but even then you just don't get the quality you would expect to for the price (I won't throw any company under the bus here just yet because its an industry wide problem).

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I buy another pump?
You can use any pump you want and plug it into any open outlet on your power bar. Then copy paste the code to that outlet from the 1link outlet that your neptune ATK setup wizard created. To connect new pump to your RO tubing, you can pick up a threaded to push fit connector like this from home depot.
IMG_3855.png

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated but you could get gravity based ATO.

I got one with Red Sea Reefer 6+ years ago and it is still working.

In that time I replaced my return pump, skimmer pump, wave maker etc…

Back