0   0   0
Do I keep running my charcoal filters with using phosphate RX

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Phosphate Rx as a product. I also alway run carbon. I have never removed the carbon from the sump and the Phosrx is still very effective. Could be more effective without the carbon. Not sure if packaging directions instructs otherwise.

OP
OP
Gettie

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Phosphate Rx as a product. I also alway run carbon. I have never removed the carbon from the sump and the Phosrx is still very effective. Could be more effective without the carbon. Not sure if packaging directions instructs otherwise.
thank you that was the answer I was looking for , very helpful to me . thanks again

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the active ingredient is. Sounds like lanthium chloride. The bound up phosphate can clog the pores in your carbon. I would run some sort of filter (like a sock) before the carbon

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the active ingredient is. Sounds like lanthium chloride. The bound up phosphate can clog the pores in your carbon. I would run some sort of filter (like a sock) before the carbon

It more or less is a diluted form of it. There are a few threads here on LC use which I would probably read before using the product. Then calculate the dose, split that into a few different applications to see how the display reacts, etc.

When I used that product I took GFO and Carbon offline. Placed a 10 micron sock in front of my skimmer intake and added the product into the filter sock. This way anything that was missed went into the skimmer which hopefully picked up the rest. Sometimes I thread the skimmer into a more wet skimmate mode and put its drain line into a 5 gallon bucket. Once it was full I would stop it and apply fresh saltwater. Sort of like a mini water change after the wet skimming.

Anyway I don't know the "actual" product composition either but it is LC based, diluted, so similar precautions should be applied.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose LC directly into my skimmer foam column via a small hole I drilled into the dome of the collection cup lid, and I still run Carbon in my sump, but my water goes thru the Carbon before hitting the skimmer chamber and the LC is concentrated primarily into my skimmer foam where it is the most effective. I would assume that the majority of the LC I am dosing is bound and exported before ever exiting my skimmer in to the rest of the water system.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back