Preventing Zoa Spread

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of how we got here, we’re concerned the zoa on the right might end up taking over this entire rock structure which is a significant portion of our display tank. It’s even beaten back our feather duster infestation (we had hoped the opposite would happen). So our question is: what would you do to prevent this zoa from spreading further?

IMG_1796.jpeg

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F aptasia will work
I don’t need to kill it per se, I just want to draw a line on the rock so to speak and say no further…. Is it possible to like wrap something around the rock or similar?

Speaking of aiptasia x; is it just me, or is it completely worthless for use on aiptasia? Thankfully I only have it on a rock in my sump that I’m about to remove. But I used it 2-3 times and the aiptasia keeps coming back in the same spots bigger than ever and spreading to new ones.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas out there? It’s prettier than it looks in the picture (a nice pale blue), but we can’t have it taking over the tank either.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don’t need to kill it per se, I just want to draw a line on the rock so to speak and say no further…. Is it possible to like wrap something around the rock or similar?

Speaking of aiptasia x; is it just me, or is it completely worthless for use on aiptasia? Thankfully I only have it on a rock in my sump that I’m about to remove. But I used it 2-3 times and the aiptasia keeps coming back in the same spots bigger than ever and spreading to new ones.
Maybe a macro algae, it can't grow on that.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas out there? It’s prettier than it looks in the picture (a nice pale blue), but we can’t have it taking over the tank either.
That looks like an invasive palythoa. Can you remove the rock? I've had luck siphoning them out with stainless steel straws after using F aiptasia or kalk paste. Be mindful when handling them as they may contain palytoxin.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like an invasive palythoa. Can you remove the rock? I've had luck siphoning them out with stainless steel straws after using F aiptasia or kalk paste. Be mindful when handling them as they may contain palytoxin.
Hmmmm. That would explain why it’s literally the only flourishing coral in the entire tank. I had a green invasive paly in a QT tank that completely took over a coral rack, but I thought this looked more like a zoa. I’m pretty sure the rock is a shelf rock upon which other rocks depend for the entire structure, cemented together. I’ll have a closer look when I can get back to the tank. I’m not sure where I got it from, but I feel like it was from Tidal Gardens in a $1000 pack of stuff, so that would be disappointing.

Maybe a macro algae, it can't grow on that.
Funny you say that because I relatively neglected my QT for a while and out of control macro is what kind of choked a paly out, made it stretch, etc. Finally just dumped the whole rack in acid. I don’t know how I would control macro though without just creating a new problem. My tangs would probably make short work of it too.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1806.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg

Do these pictures help at all?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 144 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back