Red Goni Success…. How did you do it?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixty bucks!!! I’ll take it! Just brought home a Red Goniopora this evening. Looking forward to seeing this small flowerpot turn into a legitimate bouquet.
1. How many Gonis do you have?
2. What’s your secret/secrets to having long term success?

Bottom right corner.

IMG_5008.jpeg

kiwikoxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I got some gonis (8) and I think they are doing okay, however, my frags were way smaller so they had a tough time starting out. I had tissue receding due to freshly cut frags.

They love to eat and gets moody if you don't feed them. So I spot feed them sometimes, every week and a half to 2 weeks ( I have a small tank )

So I bit the bullet and also spent about 75USD for a bigger colony of goni and he does not need spot feeding at all, I place him right under my wavemaker so all foods eventually leads to this bad boy. Grabbing all the foods.

I manually ATO, dose, and I don't preheat my water to same temp during small water changes and all goni still alive and well after couple months!

PAR about 60-80 but when I moved them up to 80-100 PAR I had longer tentacle extentions.

I am a novice so please don't take my advice too seriously, It just what I noticed during my few months of keeping mine! Hope this helps!

Happy I Like It GIF

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term success seems to be mostly driven by getting a frag from a colony that’s been in the aquarium environment for awhile.
There was a nice little group of these frags. Hopefully that means they’ve been around a while.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixty bucks!!! I’ll take it! Just brought home a Red Goniopora this evening. Looking forward to seeing this small flowerpot turn into a legitimate bouquet.

Bottom right corner.

IMG_5008.jpeg
I’m at 4 gonis - two are colonies from an import and two are frags. My method of success;
High light (they’re all in around 300 PAR or higher), Higher nutrients (as long as they’re in balance the nutrient levels doesn’t always effect the coral negatively) and dosing manganese 2x a week.
IMG_0493.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

And a close up of my main red colony because we all love them.
B39BD182-9C32-449E-9F4F-FCF2E3D7BA35.jpeg

Last edited:

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a bunch from a few larger colonies to smaller frags. Right now I have close to 40 . Medium strong flow. Par a bit all over ranging from mid 100s to low 200s. High nutrient levels with daily doses of phyto and AB+.

IMG_4702.jpeg IMG_4701.jpeg IMG_4706.jpeg IMG_4705.jpeg IMG_4704.jpeg IMG_4703.jpeg IMG_4798.jpeg IMG_4428.jpeg IMG_4756.jpeg IMG_4755.jpeg IMG_4754.jpeg

Last edited:

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have ORA red Goni. It has tripled in size in 6 months. I have to keep decent nutrients in the tank. I have very expensive flow and lighting. I have noticed keeping my ph above 8.2 makes it super happy. I feed my fish twice daily. I never target feed coral.

IMG_8222.jpeg

Last edited:

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bottom right corner.

IMG_5008.jpeg
Everything else aside my friend, that is a killer mushroom rock! Can we all just focus on that for a minute?

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a bunch from a few larger colonies to smaller frags. Right now I have close to 40 . Medium strong flow. Par a bit all over ranging from mid 100s to low 200s. High nutrient levels with daily doses of phyto and AB+.

IMG_4702.jpeg IMG_4701.jpeg IMG_4706.jpeg IMG_4705.jpeg IMG_4704.jpeg IMG_4703.jpeg IMG_4798.jpeg IMG_4428.jpeg IMG_4756.jpeg IMG_4755.jpeg IMG_4754.jpeg
Long hair don't give a care! I love it.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I got some gonis (8) and I think they are doing okay, however, my frags were way smaller so they had a tough time starting out. I had tissue receding due to freshly cut frags.

They love to eat and gets moody if you don't feed them. So I spot feed them sometimes, every week and a half to 2 weeks ( I have a small tank )

So I bit the bullet and also spent about 75USD for a bigger colony of goni and he does not need spot feeding at all, I place him right under my wavemaker so all foods eventually leads to this bad boy. Grabbing all the foods.

I manually ATO, dose, and I don't preheat my water to same temp during small water changes and all goni still alive and well after couple months!

PAR about 60-80 but when I moved them up to 80-100 PAR I had longer tentacle extentions.

I am a novice so please don't take my advice too seriously, It just what I noticed during my few months of keeping mine! Hope this helps!

Happy I Like It GIF

What are you feeding your Goni? I find mine ignore almost all foods and liquids…looking for new things to try

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 7 goni's, my oldest is 5 years old, most others have been with me 2-3-4 years.
I don't know the par but I have MH lighting, so I would suggest excellent water conditions, good lighting and good flow.

I don't do anything special for them, I find the 'trick' with them is they will do better in a mature tank. The only time I've had trouble with goni is when I add it to a new tank.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When reading this, I thought “40” was a typo!!! And the colors. I’m going to keep an eye out for a blue one. I didn’t see one frag plug, nicely mounted and placed. Congrats! 40 :flushed-face::astonished-face:

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at 4 gonis - two are colonies from an import and two are frags. My method of success;
High light (they’re all in around 300 PAR or higher), Higher nutrients (as long as they’re in balance the nutrient levels doesn’t always effect the coral negatively) and dosing manganese 2x a week.
IMG_0493.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

And a close up of my main red colony because we all love them.
B39BD182-9C32-449E-9F4F-FCF2E3D7BA35.jpeg
Heard about dosing an addition of manganese. What manufacturer do you use?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have ORA red Goni. It has tripled in size in 6 months. I have to keep decent nutrients in the tank. I have very expensive flow and lighting. I have noticed keeping my ph above 8.2 makes it super happy. I feed my fish twice daily. I never target feed coral.

IMG_8222.jpeg
Nice growth rate. Looking forward to that. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 7 goni's, my oldest is 5 years old, most others have been with me 2-3-4 years.
I don't know the par but I have MH lighting, so I would suggest excellent water conditions, good lighting and good flow.

I don't do anything special for them, I find the 'trick' with them is they will do better in a mature tank. The only time I've had trouble with goni is when I add it to a new tank.
Nice! Yes that certainly seems to be the case with other corals as well.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 15+ years ago I tried gonis and never had luck. They would live for maybe a year or so and slowly decline. Now I see people keeping them and wonder if I should try again. I am thinking it has a lot to do with a few people who had success with them in the past and the gonis getting acclimated to tank life over time. Had the same issues with elegance corals.

Whenever I see these threads pop up I take a look. The way people keep them its all over the board High flow, low flow, high light, low light, dirty tank, clean tank, feed, dont feed. Same answers for elegance corals. For the goni I really think its how long its been in captivity (how many generations) that dictates how well it will do in the average persons care. These corals are not like say sps where there is a certain set of parameters in general where they thrive and you can easily tell what is deficient if those parameters are not in that range.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 15+ years ago I tried gonis and never had luck. They would live for maybe a year or so and slowly decline. Now I see people keeping them and wonder if I should try again. I am thinking it has a lot to do with a few people who had success with them in the past and the gonis getting acclimated to tank life over time. Had the same issues with elegance corals.

Whenever I see these threads pop up I take a look. The way people keep them its all over the board High flow, low flow, high light, low light, dirty tank, clean tank, feed, dont feed. Same answers for elegance corals. For the goni I really think its how long its been in captivity (how many generations) that dictates how well it will do in the average persons care. These corals are not like say sps where there is a certain set of parameters in general where they thrive and you can easily tell what is deficient if those parameters are not in that range.
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said. But there is definitely more success today with Gonis than 10 or 20 years ago.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said. But there is definitely more success today with Gonis than 10 or 20 years ago.
I agree. I would like to know the reason is I guess what I am getting at. Seems care is all over the board so thats not it. What works for one-person doesn't for another and you end up with the outcome I had all those years ago. Unless it is that they have just been acclimated over generations to tank life and are hardier now because of it with in reason of course.

Back