Reef fish selection

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently am going to set up an 125 gallon aquarium. I’m trying to figure out what I am going to put into the tank livestock wise. Anyone have any suggestions? It would be cool to have some fish people normally don’t have. I am 100% going to get a yellow tang at some point and about to move my regal tang from my 40 gallon to the new fish tank. Other than those two fish I have no plans on any other fish.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regal tang will certainly love the room. Yellow tangs seem difficult to find at the moment. Hope you have a good source. I have always loved a wrasse to control pests. You can keep them fed with copepods from your Refugium. Diamond gobies are great for moving the sand around

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple questions for you, also side not I am setting up a 180gal rn and have some ideas of my own so might ping them off you for livestock and see what you think! Whats the rockwork look like? If its not setup what are you think dense or hollow? Also are you putting a UV on the tank? I find with tangs if you have a UV it ups the survival rate to keep the ich at bay. Are you doing a reef tank or fish only tank? If you're addicted to corals but want some risker fish are you ok with a coral getting ate potentially?

OP
OP
DD Corals

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple questions for you, also side not I am setting up a 180gal rn and have some ideas of my own so might ping them off you for livestock and see what you think! Whats the rockwork look like? If its not setup what are you think dense or hollow? Also are you putting a UV on the tank? I find with tangs if you have a UV it ups the survival rate to keep the ich at bay. Are you doing a reef tank or fish only tank? If you're addicted to corals but want some risker fish are you ok with a coral getting ate potentially?
Right now now the plan is to put coral in. I don’t mind taking some risks in fish eating corals. Not sure what the rockwork will be like but it will have a lot of hiding spaces. And I do plan to add a uv filter of some sort down the road. Just not sure which one to get.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now now the plan is to put coral in. I don’t mind taking some risks in fish eating corals. Not sure what the rockwork will be like but it will have a lot of hiding spaces. And I do plan to add a uv filter of some sort down the road. Just not sure which one to get.
Wonder about the rock work because if you don’t have dense and have it majority hollow with lots of swimming spave tangs would be a good option and you could get more with more swimming space for them to move around.

Cool fish to look into, that you may have to re home or upgrade in the future. Would be emperor angel, stunner. Regal angel, stunning. Lavender tang, blonde naso. Clown trigger. These are all ones I’m thinking btw, but some of the best looking fish in my opinion but obviously some more expensive and not reef safe.

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you luck and I think it will turn out great. Some reef safe fish that I had in mind for your tank are:
Common ocellaris clownfish (classic but there's a reason for that)
Blue hippo tang (another classic but looks very cool)
Powder blue tang (not too common but also they are one of my favorites)
Leopard wrasse (fun and colorful)
Short spined sea urchin (sea urchins are very fun and there aren't a lot of short spined. they are very cool urchins)
Scallop (This would be once the tank is developed ofc)
Linkia sea star (Fun sort of uncommon star)
Dwarf golden moray eel (Only true reef safe eel. They are expensive but SO worth it)
Caribbean sharpnose puffer (Puffers are so fun and this specific one is mildly rare)

OP
OP
DD Corals

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish you luck and I think it will turn out great. Some reef safe fish that I had in mind for your tank are:
Common ocellaris clownfish (classic but there's a reason for that)
Blue hippo tang (another classic but looks very cool)
Powder blue tang (not too common but also they are one of my favorites)
Leopard wrasse (fun and colorful)
Short spined sea urchin (sea urchins are very fun and there aren't a lot of short spined. they are very cool urchins)
Scallop (This would be once the tank is developed ofc)
Linkia sea star (Fun sort of uncommon star)
Dwarf golden moray eel (Only true reef safe eel. They are expensive but SO worth it)
Caribbean sharpnose puffer (Puffers are so fun and this specific one is mildly rare)
Man I didn’t even think about some of these fish, like pufferfish, sea stars (100% going to get these now), and sea urchins. Not 100% sure if I upgrade for now but powder blue tang looks beautiful.

Back