Shattered torch skeleton

jonnythekid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this beautiful torch from a local coral farmers market trade show. I was attempting to remove it from the frag plug and I accidentally crushed the skeleton. I had to hold it together with my fingers to keep it from completely falling apart into multiple pieces. I carefully wrapped the skeleton together with epoxy and placed it on the rock it appears to be very stressed out But okay at the moment. I will update if it survives or not

image.jpg image.jpg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So sorry to hear, I have had a hammer that was nearly crushed by falling rock. It did recover even after being quite cracked all over the stem. Keep your system stable and hope for the best. It sounds like you handled it the best you could though, good thinking. I wish you the best of luck and hope yours recovers as well :)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interesting to see if it calcifies over its injuries. I dont like frag plugs glued to rocks but if the coral does not detach easily then I just leave the round plug on. Figure coraline will cover it eventually anyway.

OP
OP
jonnythekid

jonnythekid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interesting to see if it calcifies over its injuries. I dont like frag plugs glued to rocks but if the coral does not detach easily then I just leave the round plug on. Figure coraline will cover it eventually anyway.
Yeah I was being careless and attempted to break the frag off of the plug I learned my lesson. I’ve done it with other corals and didn’t expect this torch to be so fragile

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same with a hammer and now it’s a month or so after supergluing it back together and all is well. I hope it happens for you too.

Edit… ps I did an iodine dip before gluing it back together

OP
OP
jonnythekid

jonnythekid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that, sorry :(

never had success with it healing after a head crack, if it starts wasting away toss it and have a drink
Lol thanks for the advice of that happens I will for sure

OP
OP
jonnythekid

jonnythekid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same with a hammer and now it’s a month or so after supergluing it back together and all is well. I hope it happens for you too.

dang yeah I was thinking about dipping it but was too scared to keep messing with it so I just putting it together and left it alone. Glad yours recovered

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this beautiful torch from a local coral farmers market trade show. I was attempting to remove it from the frag plug and I accidentally crushed the skeleton. I had to hold it together with my fingers to keep it from completely falling apart into multiple pieces. I carefully wrapped the skeleton together with epoxy and placed it on the rock it appears to be very stressed out But okay at the moment. I will update if it survives or not

image.jpg image.jpg
While cutting a nice gold the skeleton split all the way up to the head. The flesh was literally the only thing keeping it together. I glued it like you did and left it alone and it’s a monster now. Your biggest enemy relight now is bacteria. Good luck I think you will be ok. Here is the torch 8 months after splitting the head in half!

Attachments

• 060CE634-D8FD-47E4-969C-3D24A48176CE.jpeg
    060CE634-D8FD-47E4-969C-3D24A48176CE.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 133
OP
OP
jonnythekid

jonnythekid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cutting a nice gold the skeleton split all the way up to the head. The flesh was literally the only thing keeping it together. I glued it like you did and left it alone and it’s a monster now. Your biggest enemy relight now is bacteria. Good luck I think you will be ok. Here is the torch 8 months after splitting the head in half!
That’s awesome man I’m glad I’m not the only one. Hopefully mine makes it to that size. Did you dip it?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was going to suggest an iodide dip.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg image.jpg
I did the same thing once. It died.

john/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg image.jpg
I did the same thing I’m so mad and sad … sorry I feel your pain… hope it pulls through I put some reef glue on mine it was good for about a month and it seems to be doing bad again…. Took it out and put some more glue… last shot then I’m just going to toss it…. It’s starting to brown jelly on the rim

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing I’m so mad and sad … sorry I feel your pain… hope it pulls through I put some reef glue on mine it was good for about a month and it seems to be doing bad again…. Took it out and put some more glue… last shot then I’m just going to toss it…. It’s starting to brown jelly on the rim
If it's really brown jelly, it will overtake the entire coral (flesh) within 12-24 hours. Turns it into a brown jelly-like mush... Hence the name.
If you have something "on the rim" that's been there more than a day, it's not BJD (and therefore the coral might still be saved).

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%

Back