Splitting torches? Or fat heads?

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the flesh dimples on a torch coral does that necessarily mean it’s going to split there?

9BD4456D-A6E3-4934-B8DF-C297ECA23B15.jpeg AE44C986-2CED-4B39-BC63-45151A0AD8FC.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If the flesh dimples on a torch coral does that necessarily mean it’s going to split there?

9BD4456D-A6E3-4934-B8DF-C297ECA23B15.jpeg AE44C986-2CED-4B39-BC63-45151A0AD8FC.jpeg
Pics a little dark but appears to be receding from skeleton although a split is possible

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xmrbob941

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics a little dark but appears to be receding from skeleton although a split is possible
When I got the tiger it was a tiny little fleshy stem it’s only grown further down except a small spot. it was like the size of a golf ball opened up when I got it an now it’s about a base ball but there is a side where the flesh hasn’t grown down like the front side an has stayed stationary in the back which is what the photo is I’ll take a better lit photo

Upvote 0

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say with torches without observation over several days or weeks. Often they can recede for various reasons (flow, debris, pooping, just because) and then look great the next day. Splitting takes weeks to months and the only thing that really stands out to me is an almost figure 8 like shape, where the two circles of the 8 are splitting polyps joined by a bridge of white flesh. I also notice the tentacles on the splitting head seem to stay shorter. The best way to check if your torch is doing OK is to check for recession of the white part. If it starts reducing there is something happening, not necessarily good -irritation, parameters, etc. They are great canary in the coal mine corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xmrbob941

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

From the time I got it from my LFS it hasn’t had flesh on that side an hasn’t stretched down it either it appears to have a small bit of skeleton showing though. I’m going to keep an eye on it. It doesn’t show any signs it’s mad this photo is top down just now, no flow for the picture
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xmrbob941

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say with torches without observation over several days or weeks. Often they can recede for various reasons (flow, debris, pooping, just because) and then look great the next day. Splitting takes weeks to months and the only thing that really stands out to me is an almost figure 8 like shape, where the two circles of the 8 are splitting polyps joined by a bridge of white flesh. I also notice the tentacles on the splitting head seem to stay shorter. The best way to check if your torch is doing OK is to check for recession of the white part. If it starts reducing there is something happening, not necessarily good -irritation, parameters, etc. They are great canary in the coal mine corals.
Yes one of my cheaper torch corals has been splitting now for 6 months and still not finished. It actually stalled out like a month ago and started again. I was hoping that this was my first signs of a split on my more pricer pieces in my tank

Upvote 0

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, that looks fine. It's halfway down the skeleton, and polyp extension is good with plump tentacles and solid coloration. if it recedes past this point (the white towards the tentacles) that would be an indication that some water tests are in order. Also monitor for physical pests. Flatworms, emerald crabs, and fish can bother them temporarily. With stability and a good spot it'll grow new heads as soon as it feels settled in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xmrbob941

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, that looks fine. It's halfway down the skeleton, and polyp extension is good with plump tentacles and solid coloration. if it recedes past this point (the white towards the tentacles) that would be an indication that some water tests are in order. Also monitor for physical pests. Flatworms, emerald crabs, and fish can bother them temporarily. With stability and a good spot it'll grow new heads as soon as it feels settled in.
Yea the white flesh has only extended further down the base since it’s been in my tank. An thats been about 7-8 months now

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xmrbob941

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far no pests except I had black bugs take over a kill a 24k Malaysian, treated the tank with interceptors couple days ago (I think Friday) and the problem was solved but. I was too slow to remove my hermits I didn’t know it would kill them until it was too late so my nitrates have spiked to 50 from 25. I was planning on doing numerous water changes to get the interceptor out to get hermits back in the tank for clean up crew an so I planned on water changing the next day. And after my water test I was at 50. So I was probably higher than that before hand. Nothing seemed too ticked though. I’ve been water changing every other day since then an now I’m back in order I normally keep them 15-25 then water change back to 15

Upvote 0

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits don't typically cause problems unless they're large. The tiny blue legs in my experience are pretty harmless. They tend to feed more on dead tissue than anything. But all crabs are opportunistic generalists food wise so I always give em a long eye just in case

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

From the time I got it from my LFS it hasn’t had flesh on that side an hasn’t stretched down it either it appears to have a small bit of skeleton showing though. I’m going to keep an eye on it. It doesn’t show any signs it’s mad this photo is top down just now, no flow for the picture
image.jpg
better pics and not recession but signs of splitting/ Assure CA level no less than 390

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xmrbob941

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits don't typically cause problems unless they're large. The tiny blue legs in my experience are pretty harmless. They tend to feed more on dead tissue than anything. But all crabs are opportunistic generalists food wise so I always give em a long eye just in case
Yea when I brought up hermits it was because the interceptor killed them all an I didn’t realized it would kill them so I spiked my nitrates but since then it’s back in order

Upvote 0

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually look for mouths or bubbles to figure out if my torches are splitting. If there's two mouths, I figure it is in the process.

Your tiger torch looks very healthy. Mine is doing a similar thing where it keeps getting larger but it doesn't seem to be splitting. I think they're slow growers.

Upvote 0

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some torches and hammers and they came in with massive skeletons. The torches eventually died their tentacles were very short and fat as well.. Makes me scared to order anything but an indo but their is a gorgeous one cheap! I am assuming the hammers are wall hammers since the body of it is so wide. I am looking at a fat head torch. Do they all have the appearance like wall hammers. Do they eventually spit and form new heads. Weirdest torch I ever saw. It was like a wall torch if their is such a thing! I actually had two of them!

Hideous actually lol

Attachments

• torches to show hf.jpg
    torches to show hf.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 5
  • hideous hf torch2.jpg
    hideous hf torch2.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back