Suggestions on how to plumb 55-gallon plastic barrels for mixing station

cassidysp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to build a mixing station and the two barrels I have are sealed plastic food grade with small bung holes on the top. I was hoping to not need to cut the tops off but am struggling on how to install bulkheads. Has anyone just used piping through the top openings or is there a way to add bulkheads to the bottom 1/3 of the barrels without needing to reach all the way down to hold the backside of the bulkhead to tighten?

1000004909.jpg

SlowAndStupid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two 55-gallon barrels on my fresh water tank previously, one as my large filter and one as my water storage for water changes, but mine came with removable lids. A uniseal will work great to plumb pipes into the sides of the barrel, but you are going to likely need to get into the barrel sooner or later for some reason. I know I did. I would plan for that now before putting it into place.

OP
OP
cassidysp

cassidysp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two 55-gallon barrels on my fresh water tank previously, one as my large filter and one as my water storage for water changes, but mine came with removable lids. A uniseal will work great to plumb pipes into the sides of the barrel, but you are going to likely need to get into the barrel sooner or later for some reason. I know I did. I would plan for that now before putting it into place.
I have found another thread recommending kayak hatches being installed in the lid to allow for future access. I appreciate the feedback.

Back