tailspot blenny reef safe or not

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a tailspot in one of my reef tanks and he is doing what can only be described as attacking my goniopora,clove polyps, and frogspawn. it does not seem he is eating them as he isnt taking chunks out of them, what he is doing is head butting them and making them very mad but he isnt actually eating them. ive never seen this or heard of it since hes not really eating them like i said hes just making a really really good job they stay closed and ticked off.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a tailspot in one of my reef tanks and he is doing what can only be described as attacking my goniopora,clove polyps, and frogspawn. it does not seem he is eating them as he isnt taking chunks out of them, what he is doing is head butting them and making them very mad but he isnt actually eating them. ive never seen this or heard of it since hes not really eating them like i said hes just making a really really good job they stay closed and ticked off.
Never seen this behaviour before! Any chance you can catch that on a video? Might be hard, but it would be interesting to see!

In my experience, they are peaceful wee buggers and are usually a good addition to a peaceful reef. I haven't seen them bother corals before.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspots are considered reef safe. They do whack rocks trying to loosen foodstuffs.
Do you have plenty on rock for him to forage?

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen this behaviour before! Any chance you can catch that on a video? Might be hard, but it would be interesting to see!

In my experience, they are peaceful wee buggers and are usually a good addition to a peaceful reef. I haven't seen them bother corals before.
yes for sure i am trying to catch him in the act, ill set a camera up and try and get it posted soon. the reason i THINK hes attacking the goni like he is is because its right outside his cave and hes mad its there, its my best guess.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely odd behavior. Mines been in my tank for almost 2 years and hasn't even looked at corals. But he always has a full belly!

20231003_181149.jpg

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine attacks clove polyps. They get angry and close up, but they're still growing like mad, so TSB isn't doing that much damage. I'd be a bit worried about gonis. Perhaps your TSB feels peckish?
that could be the case for a fish the size of a index finger he has the appetite of a fish 10x his size he would eat 10 times a day if i would let him.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

alright so ive got a update to the situation, he is not beating on the goni at all but his tail does touch it just enough to make it reallyyyy mad when he enters and exits his hole, im probably going to move the goni but the tailspot 100% has a hatred for firework cloves.

nattybes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tail spot blenny is ripping at my GSP and spitting it out. I think it likes whacking at this particular side because it's encouraging it to grow in another direction so her hidy hole stays uncovered.

Back