OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the CBB. I think if I ever try to keep one it will be of the pre-quarantined variety. I'm willing to pay more to make sure that particular fish would be healthy and eating. We've all put things in our tanks that we know we maybe should have waited on though, it stings but all you can do is learn from it and do it differently next time.
Yes, pre-quarantined would be a good choice. It probably always is. What really hurts, other than watching a creature suffer for my arrogance and stupidity is that I always preach to be patient and then I turn around and act impatiently and imprudently. The old 'do as I say, not as I do' routine.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, was it from Aquaholics or elsewhere?
The CBB and Bristletooth were both from Aquaholics. They said they had just come in so I don't think they had really observed them much. I found out before we left, but after they had bagged the fish, that they receive orders on Wednesdays so I doubt they had been anything more than unbagged. If I had thought about it I would have held off. That said, the little Bristletooth seems fine and is a model member of the community.

I'm not ruling out that it's still possible that some old methods of collection are used surreptitiously in certain areas.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think cyanide collection still happens a lot and there are still lots of reports of Angels exhibiting cyanide poisoning symptoms and then dying suddenly after 2 months or so. It's crazy and annoying. It makes me hesitant to buy fish sometimes.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cyanide collection still happens a lot and there are still lots of reports of Angels exhibiting cyanide poisoning symptoms and then dying suddenly after 2 months or so. It's crazy and annoying. It makes me hesitant to buy fish sometimes.
That was my first thought when I observed the fish and it is still possible. I don't have the means or inclination to check the fish post-mortem.

I also noticed that there were a lot of CBBs, to a number of LFSs, that came into the valley at the same time. Far more at one time than I used to see. It reminds me more of the days when that collection method was common. I dealt with a great number of loses of potentially great fish because of it. I would imagine the risk is mainly with the larger, more flamboyant or expensive fish where they may deem the risk worth the reward.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aquarium Arts had a good variety of CBB back 2 months ago for a good price. @1ocean ended up picking up one of them. I almost did. They were healthy and eating at the time.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Arts had a good variety of CBB back 2 months ago for a good price. @1ocean ended up picking up one of them. I almost did. They were healthy and eating at the time.
I've only been to Aquarium Arts twice in the last 17 years. Once about 2 years ago and almost bought a tank and again about a month ago. It's pretty nice in there now. I almost bought a Blue-eyed Kole Tang. Everything looked healthy. Can't say that was my experience there many years ago. I guess I need to trust again.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back