The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me almost an hour to ID this. Is anyone else up for the challenge? The hint is that it was caught in the Philippines.
1716238912680.png

TylerHaworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I'm ok, but I just want to double check here with the gurus:

I currently have a Linespot Flasher Wrasse in my system, and want to add a Rhomboid Fairy... We should be ok, right?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I'm ok, but I just want to double check here with the gurus:

I currently have a Linespot Flasher Wrasse in my system, and want to add a Rhomboid Fairy... We should be ok, right?
Yep!

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these guys, I’ve seen several in my LFS but never pulled the trigger. Now I wish I did go for one, the crescent tail is gorgeous.
I never knew they had the crescect style tail! He didn't have it when i first got him. But slowly over about a month period in the tank it got more and more showy. He has definitely become super pretty. Greens, yellows in the body and the red head markings on the black is stunning. Also he is very small compared to the other wrasse. About 2/3 length of my adored wrasse.
20240519_175338(0).jpg

This picture isent in focus but you can see the colors a bit. Overall darker in person. I love his mohawk.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just not fair... How the heck do you tell someone this is a (Fill In the Blank) These Juv. are brutal. We are calling this one -- "Could Be Anything" I see the small filament but that doesn't give us much to go of as it still could be several fish.

Fish-46.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just not fair... How the heck do you tell someone this is a (Fill In the Blank) These Juv. are brutal. We are calling this one -- "Could Be Anything" I see the small filament but that doesn't give us much to go of as it still could be several fish.

Fish-46.jpg
I don’t bother with juvenile fairy and flasher wrasse. They are almost impossible to ID

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish-46.jpg
Body shape restricts you to the Mccoskeri complex;
Mccoskeri
Carpenteri
Flavianalis
Rubricaudalis
Amanda
And I’m surely missing one or two.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Body shape restricts you to the Mccoskeri complex;
Mccoskeri
Carpenteri
Flavianalis
Rubricaudalis
Amanda
And I’m surely missing one or two.
Yup -- So it's a crap shoot. I know lots of folks want them when they are young so they can have them for long periods of time but it really is almost impossible to tell the Juvs apart.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup -- So it's a crap shoot. I know lots of folks want them when they are young so they can have them for long periods of time but it really is almost impossible to tell the Juvs apart.
Honestly, I much prefer females and juveniles as they truly are gorgeous.
Don’t know how but I managed to ID my Mccoskeri as a juvenile and am currently attempting an ID at my female ‘Rubricaudalis’ (looks somewhat more like a mccoskeri but had a fair amount of red in her tail).

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wednesday photos. Maybe I’ll get some better ones this evening. I don’t know what it is about reefroids and benereef, but it makes the wrasses get all wound up.

IMG_5250.jpeg

IMG_5473.jpeg

And another picture of pintail and rhomboid sleeping together, but last night the cucumber decided to hang out too

IMG_6339.jpeg

Back