Tired of AC bricks? Try the DCBuddy

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do need to dress up the built in web server look and feel since its just a giant dump of all the data (at least its ordered by name!).
Raw data is good, specially if it comes in XML or JSON, that way it can be captured by telegraf and stored in a time series database to monitor trends over time

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raw data is good, specially if it comes in XML or JSON, that way it can be captured by telegraf and stored in a time series database to monitor trends over time

Thanks for reminding me - I do need to enable the Prometheus exporter in the production firmware. I missed that step.

The web front end is a JS/CSS blob and gets the data and posts back settings using JSON.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say someone has wav pumps, using 1Link modules (not eb832 which would require line power, or the previously included 1Link ports), at three wavs per 1Link. I believe (pulling this out of my hat here) each pulls 37 watts max, so say 120 watts total max on a single dc24 port (my scenario would require 2 of your devices 24vdc ports as I’m running 2 1Links and 6 wav pumps). Would your device handle that no problem?

On one port, no, since thats above the 3A recommend (120W/24V=5A) current per port with the assumed numbers.

However, the pumps are likely not actually at that power level. The 1Link/Wav kit for two pumps ship with a 100W supply, so the 120W estimate is over-estimating power draw on the pumps (assuming they are running three). If we say three pumps are 80W peak power (standard 20% margin for a 100W adapter), we could run on one output DC port here no problem.

I don't have a WAV kit to measure, but will grab one since I'm curious myself (though they are showing out of stock)

(The best I can find on the internet is that the WAV says "Low power consumption – Less than 35w at the wall" which is already accounting for some conversion losses in the AC/DC adapter, so pumps may be in the 25W max range)

If it somehow doesn't work, I suspect except for the DC24 accessory ports, the 1Link adapter is purely passive - it just routes 24V to the connectors and connects the CAN bus on 1Link, which means spinning a wiring adapter allowing multiple ports to be used with aquabus is pretty easy.

If so, would a battery work for ac power loss (say only running 2 wavs on low power with the head unit although I think the wavs will continue running on 1Link without head unit comm at whatever the fallback setting is)?

Yes. This requires a bit more research to suggest an ideal implementation. Once I can verify the WAV setup with the 1Link adapter I can confirm the best approach.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one port, no, since thats above the 3A recommend (120W/24V=5A) current per port with the assumed numbers.

However, the pumps are likely not actually at that power level. The 1Link/Wav kit for two pumps ship with a 100W supply, so the 120W estimate is over-estimating power draw on the pumps (assuming they are running three). If we say three pumps are 80W peak power (standard 20% margin for a 100W adapter), we could run on one output DC port here no problem.

I don't have a WAV kit to measure, but will grab one since I'm curious myself (though they are showing out of stock)

(The best I can find on the internet is that the WAV says "Low power consumption – Less than 35w at the wall" which is already accounting for some conversion losses in the AC/DC adapter, so pumps may be in the 25W max range)

If it somehow doesn't work, I suspect except for the DC24 accessory ports, the 1Link adapter is purely passive - it just routes 24V to the connectors and connects the CAN bus on 1Link, which means spinning a wiring adapter allowing multiple ports to be used with aquabus is pretty easy.

Yes. This requires a bit more research to suggest an ideal implementation. Once I can verify the WAV setup with the 1Link adapter I can confirm the best approach.
Awesome! Yeah, the wav starter kit standard power supply works perfect with 3 wavs on a single 1Link. So, if it is 100w then it sounds like it’s doable. I had verified (in the past, several years ago) that the wav pumps will run at whatever the fallback setting is with the 1Links powered but disconnected from the aquabus. The only other caveat is if one is also using the 1Link dc24 (linka/linkb) for something like a pump, although it would all still have to fall within the 100w power supply as far as total current draw. I had used them for low draw solenoids at one point but no longer use those ports. Thanks for looking into this…and crazy thanks for grabbing a wsk to try out! Wavs have been out of stock for a couple years….the wsk just recently became available again (for over $500! now) but the individual pumps still aren’t available. They owe me a couple warranty replacements from a year ago, so I’m going to give them a holler.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Yeah, the wav starter kit standard power supply works perfect with 3 wavs on a single 1Link. So, if it is 100w then it sounds like it’s doable. I had verified (in the past, several years ago) that the wav pumps will run at whatever the fallback setting is with the 1Links powered but disconnected from the aquabus. The only other caveat is if one is also using the 1Link dc24 (linka/linkb) for something like a pump, although it would all still have to fall within the 100w power supply as far as total current draw. I had used them for low draw solenoids at one point but no longer use those ports. Thanks for looking into this…and crazy thanks for grabbing a wsk to try out! Wavs have been out of stock for a couple years….the wsk just recently became available again (for over $500! now) but the individual pumps still aren’t available. They owe me a couple warranty replacements from a year ago, so I’m going to give them a holler.

Yeah, surprising. I kinda expect them to consolidate their product offerings with the VorTechs since it's all the same company now, but maybe this is a new manufacturing run in a new facility. Will be interesting :)

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, surprising. I kinda expect them to consolidate their product offerings with the VorTechs since it's all the same company now, but maybe this is a new manufacturing run in a new facility. Will be interesting :)
You’re telling me! I thought for sure they were discontinued. I mean they are/were made by sicce and that doesn’t fall within the Bertram/aperture deal I don’t think. I was hoping for a brick less mp style pump with a 1link connector as a Gen 2 offering and was totally surprised by the old style coming back after a two year hiatus!

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6090.jpeg

Testing the DCBuddy Split (3x 12V ports). No bad news but one derating: while we can peak at 5A on the 12V ports, sustaining it is a problem. 4A is just fine, but 5A + the logic load of the rest of the DCBuddy will thermally trip the buck converter after about 10 minutes. This testing was done with a closed case in a 95F ambient, so a pretty worst case environment.

Also mocked up a new top case which I'm printing off a prototype

1717821342146.png

Going to continue doing burn-in testing on each board this weekend and doing some packaging and case assembly. First orders should start getting shipment notices in the next few days.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, I should be able to post it this weekend.
Cool, I’ll definitely be pre-ordering one once it’s up.

Regarding your hub, are you going to want a 24v battery in conjunction with the 24v meanwell power supply for the dual inputs or is there going to be a buck converter on the battery taking in 12v natively, or am I off base here? Trying to do some pre-planning on my part for a build I have in process.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I’ll definitely be pre-ordering one once it’s up.

Regarding your hub, are you going to want a 24v battery in conjunction with the 24v meanwell power supply for the dual inputs or is there going to be a buck converter on the battery taking in 12v natively, or am I off base here? Trying to do some pre-planning on my part for a build I have in process.

Two options:

- Hub with 24V battery and BYO charger. There are some downsides as the Hub will pull from the battery until the Meanwell adapter is higher in voltage. May lead to the battery never being fully charged.

- Battery module (Hub not required but supported), which works with a 12V or 24V battery and will handle charging and provide 24V.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 65 40.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 81 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back