Trumpet Coral dying

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, have a question here. So over the past few days our trumpet coral has taken a turn for the worse with the skeleton beginning to show on it. I suspect it’s probably due to our nitrates being either zero or close to zero but I only have an api nitrate kit on hand as of right now since no other store around us carries anything else. I am wondering if the trumpet looks the way it does due to low nitrates or could it be something else. All of our other coral is doing great with new growth on the coral and our anemone is doing well too. Thanks everyone!
Parameters
Ph 8.2
Alk 8.4
Calcium 380
Nitrate potentially 0 or close to 0
Temperature 76
Mg (haven’t tested)
Salinity 1.026

Lighting it was one the bottom of the tank but I moved it up to see if it would do better to no improvements
IMG_6961.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that should be either too much flow or too little N/P. I'd definitely get some tests done on those 2 parameters first and obviously ensure he's not getting hit with direct flow.

Also, in my experience, that doesn't look too bad. If you correct the conditions, it can and likely will easily recover.

PS I love candycanes/trumpets I hope I can be an expert on them one day :grimacing-face:

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acclimate to a wide range of PAR. I have a large colony in 250 or so and thriving. I think around 100 - 150 PAR should be good for you. Not too much flow, nor direct flow.
I would guess you're having something bother it or it's starving. It could be from too little nutrients combined with low PAR. Even with proper PAR, the organisms require Nitrates and Phosphates for biological functions. Get those number to measurable amounts. Ideally 5-10 ppm Nitrates. Phosphate 0.05 - 0.09ppm.
Those numbers need not be exact. Stability is most important. They will acclimate to whatever you're able to hold stable, so long as it's within reasonable range of normal parameters.

I have had trumpets survive far worse condition than what the provided picture shows. You will be fine with a bit of added nutrition, PAR, and proper flow.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acclimate to a wide range of PAR. I have a large colony in 250 or so and thriving. I think around 100 - 150 PAR should be good for you. Not too much flow, nor direct flow.
I would guess you're having something bother it or it's starving. It could be from too little nutrients combined with low PAR. Even with proper PAR, the organisms require Nitrates and Phosphates for biological functions. Get those number to measurable amounts. Ideally 5-10 ppm Nitrates. Phosphate 0.05 - 0.09ppm.
Those numbers need not be exact. Stability is most important. They will acclimate to whatever you're able to hold stable, so long as it's within reasonable range of normal parameters.

I have had trumpets survive far worse condition than what the provided picture shows. You will be fine with a bit of added nutrition, PAR, and proper flow.
Good tips! Glad to hear your trumpets have survived at much worse looking than ours haha. I’ll end up moving the trumpet higher on the rock and start raising the nitrates and phosphates as soon as I can

Back