Watchman gobies clean sand?

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,
I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 clowns and a royal gramma. And are watchman gobies good for cleaning the sand bed. I have hermit crabs, but they don't really clean the sand bed. And I love watchman gobies because they look like they hate everything in the world just cute to me. So can I, and do they clean the sand bed?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,
I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 clowns and a royal gramma. And are watchman gobies good for cleaning the sand bed. I have hermit crabs, but they don't really clean the sand bed. And I love watchman gobies because they look like they hate everything in the world just cute to me. So can I, and do they clean the sand bed?
You need a sand sifting goby

windsor_salt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my YWG would shift through the sand, not sure if he was catching copepods. It was cool as he chews on it a bit and spits it out of his gills!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond, yes. Yellow, not great but will still help a bit.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a tiny guy to sift sand you could try a two spot goby. They have the same constantly disappointed mug. They hop along the sand with their 2 fins more dramatically than the watchman too.

1714824542651.png

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,
Not really, you need a diamond goby! Mine moves sand all day long

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a tiny guy to sift sand you could try a two spot goby. They have the same constantly disappointed mug. They hop along the sand with their 2 fins more dramatically than the watchman too.

1714824542651.png
Two spot gobies are ridiculously difficult to keep, even in large tanks. I would not recommend one in a 20 gallon, unless the tank was specifically built for them.

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 20 gallon. It's a 20 long and that distinction does matter for fish count a bit. I have 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma like you and what I feel is the most over looked watchman, the pink spot watchman. First off this fish is flat out gorgeous. Online pictures don't do it justice. He is not a true sand sifter like a diamond but anecdotally and from my experience they do sift a fair amount. It's not in a single spot to build a single burrow, he moves around. It's not like a diamond which is going to sift nonstop all day, but the goby's movement along the bottom and sifting behavior do aid in keeping the sandbed cleaner. I also have a small conch which does more in that regard.

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 20 gallon. It's a 20 long and that distinction does matter for fish count a bit. I have 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma like you and what I feel is the most over looked watchman, the pink spot watchman. First off this fish is flat out gorgeous. Online pictures don't do it justice. He is not a true sand sifter like a diamond but anecdotally and from my experience they do sift a fair amount. It's not in a single spot to build a single burrow, he moves around. It's not like a diamond which is going to sift nonstop all day, but the goby's movement along the bottom and sifting behavior do aid in keeping the sandbed cleaner. I also have a small conch which does more in that regard.
Okay thank you, I will look at them. Am I over stocked or no?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back