What's your philosophy for stocking your tank?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your philosophy for stocking your reef tank? How do you decide what you will add? How do you decide what to avoid? What's your overall goal?

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure I ever had a definite Plan for stocking my tank, I knew I wanted a couple of Tangs which is why I converted my 300g to Salt and migrated the 75g into it. I knew I wanted color, lots of it because that is what attracted me to salt tanks in the first place. After that it was more of a Walk thru the LSF and see something I Liked, GOOGLE see if it was compatible to my tank and what I need to know to care for it, and if it works for my system, I'd buy it.

Now just recently, April 30 my birthday, I saw a beautiful Chocolate Mimic Tang. I'd told myself after my tang gang bullied the Regal I had and didn't let it eat so it starved last November I was done adding fish, but he is so pretty! So then I figured for sure I was giving him a death sentence, so I named him OJ, thought maybe Justice would Prevail, in my mind at least LOL. As it turns out, he is the 2nd biggest fish in my tank at 6 inches and my Vampire Tang is so laidback he moved out of his "sleeping spot". The Vamp acted pretty stressed for about 3 days and then he settled down, now they are all living peacefully together.

So, probably impulse motivated more than anything.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a noob reefer here but allow me to share my philosophy: I think it’s important to build up to a thriving and robust system before introducing fish. Coral and CUC go in a few weeks or months after cycling and fish after a couple more weeks or months.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think about what will do well in my tank, and what won't. I don't want to overstock the tank with fish and have fish that start getting aggressive towards each other or are struggling to thrive due to space issue. With coral, I don't want to get difficult to keep coral where I'm constantly having to monitor certain aspects of my tank to make sure they are doing well. That is why I stick to the easier corals for the time being haha

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good thoughts! I know when I was first starting in reefing, I was primarily impulse buying. As I've stayed in the hobby, I find myself thinking more about longer term goals for the tank. That's at least true with fish. I do find myself still highly impulsive when it comes to corals...but I do think I'm more selective than I once was based on what I want to do long-term.

Back