When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

When was the last time you tried a different brand of food?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 78 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

No matter how much we love our favorite meal, most of us wouldn’t want to eat that meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for a month or longer! Additionally, nutritionists will tell us that a healthy and varied diet will provide a better chance to cover all our nutritional needs. While I may be anthropomorphizing fish (meaning: giving them human-like characteristics), it seems like boredom with food and lack of nutritional balance may also be a concern for our fish it we feed them the same food all the time. So, when do you mix up the meals for your fish? When should you mix up the food for your fish? Please let us know when was the last time that you tried a different brand of food for your reef and feel free to share any recommendations for alternate meal options!

sc50964_FishFood.jpeg

Photo by @sc50964

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
food.jpg

This is my main lineup for my tank. I go heavy on the refrigerated foods like the Nyos product line, as well as the benereef. I recently added selcon to the diet as well which I soak the pellets in primarily. I also feed some algae frozen foods that I have made myself.

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LRS as a staple and I mix in different Hikari stuff until that runs out, then I sometimes try something different. I also like to give ROE sometimes, pellets as a lunch snack, and live black worms for breakfast daily.

I try to give my fish a good variety of food as I definitely did notice them getting bored of just LRS when that was the only food I was feeding.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No matter how much we love our favorite meal, most of us wouldn’t want to eat that meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for a month or longer! Additionally, nutritionists will tell us that a healthy and varied diet will provide a better chance to cover all our nutritional needs. While I may be anthropomorphizing fish (meaning: giving them human-like characteristics), it seems like boredom with food and lack of nutritional balance may also be a concern for our fish it we feed them the same food all the time. So, when do you mix up the meals for your fish? When should you mix up the food for your fish? Please let us know when was the last time that you tried a different brand of food for your reef and feel free to share any recommendations for alternate meal options!

sc50964_FishFood.jpeg

Photo by @sc50964

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
So I just got 6 new fish after losing my yellow Tang. Three are carnivore. So trying new food. Feeding them misis shrimp. They love it. Nori on a clip for the tang. Its gone every Morning but have not seen it eating it. I have a Diamond Goby that I throw in flakes and pellets for if it eats anything else I am not sure. Also have a linear Blenny. It went after a shrimp but also the flakes. Both the Blenny, and the Goby are right at home. The Tang is the same as my yellow very timid. Are they all? Just for laughs I have another tank with my 14 year old Clown in it. Gave it some shrimp. Just spit it out. So I am trying two new foods. Shrimp, and pellets. Trying to figure out amounts pretty tough.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got 6 new fish after losing my yellow Tang. Three are carnivore. So trying new food. Feeding them misis shrimp. They love it. Nori on a clip for the tang. Its gone every Morning but have not seen it eating it. I have a Diamond Goby that I throw in flakes and pellets for if it eats anything else I am not sure. Also have a linear Blenny. It went after a shrimp but also the flakes. Both the Blenny, and the Goby are right at home. The Tang is the same as my yellow very timid. Are they all? Just for laughs I have another tank with my 14 year old Clown in it. Gave it some shrimp. Just spit it out. So I am trying two new foods. Shrimp, and pellets. Trying to figure out amounts pretty tough.
You'll be surprised how many "carnivorous" fish eat nori. I have several reef safe angels that most sites say are carnivorous. But, they'll fight my tangs for the Nori. It's like catnip to a cat. All my fish go nuts for the nori clip. Many are not herbivores. I would say certain fish have a primary diet of meat, but they still eat veggies. There's only a select few that I've seen that won't eat Nori. My leopard wrasse will even pick small chunks of nori out of the water column.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be surprised how many "carnivorous" fish eat nori. I have several reef safe angels that most sites say are carnivorous. But, they'll fight my tangs for the Nori. It's like catnip to a cat. All my fish go nuts for the nori clip. Many are not herbivores. I would say certain fish have a primary diet of meat, but they still eat veggies. There's only a select few that I've seen that won't eat Nori. My leopard wrasse will even pick small chunks of nori out of the water column.
I am more surprised when I saw my Viamingi blue Tang devour misis shrimp. It eats anything I throw at it now. and not bashful like my Yellow. It eats the nori when everything else is gone hilarious

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back