Why buy Ocellaris when Percula are more colorful ?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I personal prefer ocellaris over percula ten fold. I like the clean orange with white stripes outlined by black much better than the black fading that is on percula. I also think that perculas orange is less bright and vibrant and more dull.

But, just my 0.02
I think most people would said that in mature adult fish, Percula orange is brighter, black is darker, and white is whiter. Almost all Ocellaris have this dirty orange that fade from lighter at the bottom of the fish to darker on top. No clear border between black and orange.
On Percula, almost all the time there is a clear border from black to orange with darker orange.
These day it is not hard to get bright orange in your clowns by feeding them color enhance food.

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people get Ocellaris because they are more common and there are more variations. Perculas are not as common. Perculas from my experience, also tend to be more aggressive and territorial. My perculas used to always try and bite me when I had them, while my current ocellaris leave me alone.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't either. I'm just curious as to why peoplr always prefer Percula.
LOL I never really had a preference. I just bought the ones I liked. Heck, I'm not even sure which I have! ;Facepalm ;Bookworm;Brb

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't either. I'm just curious as to why peoplr always prefer Percula.

An assumption on your part I think. Doesn’t seem like people prefer percs, let alone ‘always’. I prefer ocellaris.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my ocs!
5E244316-8F45-4A2C-A03C-3DCFBE854BF4.jpeg

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't get the memo and prefer ocellaris.

honestly if they weren't so dime a dozen, aren't they just some of the prettiest fish (percula too)? everyone has them so they're not unique, but they are some really cool looking fish

Who cares?! I love mine.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, one was a slight misbar, it’s original mate was a caramel, the replacement was black ocellaris. Both caramel and black ocellaris are found on the GBR i forget the actual part.
the misbar it took sometime for me to even notice, when i purchased was the size of a dime lol.

Are they not just about the cutest things you've ever seen when they are really little?!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the ones you had were the natural non-morph ones? I personally prefer these to the hybrids because they are.... Natural? Lol.

Could not agree more. Don't get me wrong, some of them are really cool looking. I just have a thing about the fish in my tank looking like the original fish. Captive bred preferred though.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the clowns. Currently have a cinnamon clown and lighting maroon. I did have ocellaris clowns. My cat Nemo went fish killed four of them, before I figured out what was happening. She ended up leaving a clue of paw prints that dried on the side of the tank.
IMG_20190720_223012063.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the clowns. Currently have a cinnamon clown and lighting maroon. I did have ocellaris clowns. My cat Nemo went fish killed four of them, before I figured out what was happening. She ended up leaving a clue of paw prints that dried on the side of the tank.
IMG_20190720_223012063.jpg

I would be worried the kitty would fall in and drown. My tank is 140 gallons and my kitty would easily drown. I hope the killings have stopped.

I really like so many of them. I wish I could have them all.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried the kitty would fall in and drown. My tank is 140 gallons and my kitty would easily drown. I hope the killings have stopped.

I really like so many of them. I wish I could have them all.
Mine is a 75g he hoped up and scoped them out while they where sleeping right next to a power head.

The killings have stopped. Nothing sleeps high in the tank anymore.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people get Ocellaris because they are more common and there are more variations. Perculas are not as common. Perculas from my experience, also tend to be more aggressive and territorial. My perculas used to always try and bite me when I had them, while my current ocellaris leave me alone.
LOL maybe the Perulas found you to be very Tasty ;) Take that as a compliment:)
BTW if Percs find you tasty then never get a Maroon Clown fish. I had one once and that little pit bull forced me to wear gloves while working in the tank.

Last edited:

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the many tanks over the years it never seemed right until I had a Ocellaris in there. Just something about it and this goes back to before Nemo. Speaking of clown fish and color everyone needs to try this stuff, it makes your fish pop just as good as tour coral! It is legit

image.jpg

Back