55gal Reef Tank. What fish to get?

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm relatively new to the SW scene and just started my 55gal build.

So far I have:

55 gal All-Glass aquarium w/ HOB power filter (lame)
1 150w heater
Marineland Magnum 350 Canister filter
2 24'' Standard Flourecent Light Fixtures (came with the 55gal starter kit)

I am currently in the process of ordering my T5HO lighting (current usa sundial or nova extreme pro...hard to decide), as well as my protein skimmer.

My 55lbs of Live Sand goes in tomorrow as well as my water, and this Saturday I pick up my 75# of well established Live Rock from a fellow member on these forums.

I have been doing a lot of research lately regarding my setup and how to do things, but my big question is what kinds/types of fish can I keep in here? I'm going to keep it a FOWLR tank for roughly 6 months and then slowly add soft coral and some inverts in there (no hard corals at all). Anyway...

What are some easy care fish I can add to this tank with it being only 55gal and what types of fish can be compatible with one another?

Oh and I'm really set on getting a snowflake eel for my tank, but I read...

Reef Compatible: with Caution

why with caution? Do I have to beware of keeping certain types of Coral? Also...what type of fish will I not be able to have while keeping a Snowflake Eel?

It's a lot of questions but hopefully I'll get some answers to a few of them. I am still doing a lot of research and have a book on it but I like to get opinions on the forums as well.

Thanks for any responses ahead of time :Thumbs up:

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as for the snowflake they need a top over the tank cause they will come outta there and it says reef caution cause they will eat inverts and small fish.. for your fowlr you can keep smaller puffers,dwarft angels,hawkfish,some wrasses,maybe a smaller trigger,anglers,smaller tangs but prob will have to sell it later.. and other reef fish..lion fish also you could keep in there

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could prob keep all those fish with softies.. most of those wont bother softcorals maybe the angel..

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank with:

- pair of clownfish (one true percula, one false percula)
- royal gramma
- yellow tang
- yellow watchman goby

FTS0910.jpg

OP
OP
A

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to have an Anemone to have a pair of clowns? If so...what is the rough cost of these at LFS's?? Hard to maintain?

EDIT: Of course I will have an Anemone or two down the road but I'm talking about while my tank is just FOWLR for the next few months.

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i have a pair of clowns in my 46 gallon and i dont have anemone.. simply because they will move around the tank and kill all my nice corals..

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snowflake eel is an escape artist. I have read many posts where they got out through a small hole in the lid so be sure to have a nice tight fitting lid.
Also they are big predators if not now they will be so your fish choices went way down.
Granted they look cool and if your into the prey predator chases then it will be worth it.
you could always cycle the tank with something cheap like damsels then add the snowflake eel and if he eats them your not out to much.

Their is a good thread in this forum about clownfishes and anemones at.
Anemone & Clownfish Discussion

I started a new 55 gallon in september and opted out of an eel for reasons listed above. I want more movement than just one fish.

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick note on the canister filter. I had one for awhile and if you don't clean them every single week your nitrates will build really fast.

I am happy to say I am using a blend of hiatt filtration system and algae in the sump to counter my nitrate problems now.

OP
OP
A

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the basic cleaning like recommended in the manual? I don't mind cleaning it weekly. They are supper efficient filters. :)

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tear it apart cleaning the filter media by running water through it and maybe running a little water through the carbon media chamber.
That was just me and that is what seemed to work.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back