Beginner Chemistry

DexterKarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 13.5 gallon Fluval Evo with 12.5 gallons due to rock displacement. I did the Dr. Tim's cycling and after Ammonia and Nitrite 0 for a couple days, did water change and added two 1 & 1.25 inch clowns 3 weeks ago. I have since added 4 hermits, a banded troccus snail, and a cerith snail, and two nassarius snails. I also have 3 beginner coral frags, a GSP, and two zoas (total guilt buy from a very nice shop owner). These stocking choices look aggressive and not my intention.. a bit embarassed. I do 2 gallon water changes weekly. Ugly stage has varied. I seem at the moment to control well by limiting light to 6 hours and then trying to stick to blues.

Given the tests I have this is my parameters now.
Ammonia 0 consistent with API and Red Sea tests
Nitrite 0.1 consistently with Red Sea test
Nitrate can vary between 5 and 10 Red Sea test
ALK is 7.5 with Red Sea test
Phosphate is 0.25 but very hard to read with Salifert test (potential error high).

What should I focus on if anything. I get new tanks vary a lot. Just wanting to cruise for a while and encourage stability. I know those phosphates are high, but not sure warrant anything really. I also think I need to invest in better tests for some of these. Phosphate in particular as the Salifert test is not easy to read.

Any thoughts very welcome.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a Hannah checker for po4.. with little to no corals your tank will be fine for a long time just doing small water changes as you’re doing.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in your parameters seem extremely alarming to my eye - keep up with water changes to keep phosphates under control, and perhaps consider adding an algae scrubber to passively manage.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 112 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%
Back