Blue Spotted Jawfish

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one a few weeks ago. He has dug a crater the size of a basketball. Really cool fish indeed

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, about 2 1/2 years ago and still kicking.
Somewhere i read they have a 2 year or so lifespan in captivity. That can't be right.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Somewhere i read they have a 2 year or so lifespan in captivity. That can't be right.

The theory is they live in cooler waters so they have a shorted lifespan in our tank. I don't know anyone personally that has owned one and this is my first one so I don't have first hand experience. I did have a pearly jawfish that I kept for 3 or 4 years before I broke down my tank. But I believe they come from warmer waters.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason this is often the case is that the blue-spotted jawfish is not a tropical fish, so us keeping them in the mid-high 70's consistently shortens their lives significantly. They come from the Gulf of California, where the water at the depths they live is averaging in the low 60's/mid 50's throughout most of the year. Most people lose their blue-spots at around the one year mark from the mysterious "blue spot jawfish disease," which is likely not an actual disease just them succumbing to the temperature stress they are not used to.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back