brain damaged fire shrimp?

sucker_fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heres what's going on with my fire cleaner shrimp. as of yesterday he was acting somewhat lethargic he was crawling around on some of my corals (favias). When I fed the tank he perked up some and scavenged a couple pieces of food (dry flake food). When I fed the tank again last night (mysis and cyclops) I noticed him being lazy again. This morning I got up ( 630) and he was laying on his side, legs still moving, antenna twitching, but definitely not in the best of health. This afternoon when I came home and at the moment (1:47 PM) he is still laying on his side, legs twitching, antenna moving, and attempting to grab food as it floats by but not able to right himself and crawl or swim. I recently added a new frag rack to my tank and have noticed my starry blenny has knocked off a couple frag plugs. Maybe one landed on the shrimp knocking him senseless?? tank parameters: temp-78, nitrate-20ppm, nitrite-0, alkalinity-80ppm, ph-7.8 lights have been on for about 2 hours now.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he's having a problem molting. I have seen a few shrimp like half out and dead. Does he have a buddy, some molting individuals get help from other shrimp

JR,

OP
OP
S

sucker_fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no he's the only one in the tank, I thought about this also but didnt know if molting would be a problem. He's molted once right after I got him about a month ago and did fine but now he's acting all weird.

OP
OP
S

sucker_fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no but I do dose seachem reef iodide, didn't replenish after my last water change though so this could be causing a problem with the molting.

OP
OP
S

sucker_fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed with iodide today though so hopefully if he makes it through the next day or two he'll molt OK.

OP
OP
S

sucker_fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just did a water change this morning unfortunately the shrimp didn't make it. Yes he was eating when he would catch food, I was feeding him out of a turkey baster just to make sure he was getting something to eat, I think he was injured also, anyway when I went to bed last night I placed him in a low flow area on some rock and he was actually hanging onto the rock, got up this morning and found an emerald crab munching on him, and i thought those guys only ate algae...

scrapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just did a water change this morning unfortunately the shrimp didn't make it. Yes he was eating when he would catch food, I was feeding him out of a turkey baster just to make sure he was getting something to eat, I think he was injured also, anyway when I went to bed last night I placed him in a low flow area on some rock and he was actually hanging onto the rock, got up this morning and found an emerald crab munching on him, and i thought those guys only ate algae...

crabs are like rats, theyll eat anything

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back