Caribbean corals in the hobby?

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow! That’s a beautiful stag colony. I’ve never seen one on this side of the lake and I dive the Hillsboro/Everglades reefs quite frequently. I have seen them in Bimini, and obviously 10 foot tall elkhorn colonies.

would you be willing to share coordinates to this reef through a PM?
I know where there are fields of healthy stags... ;)
3A8D1B23-81C5-4783-BB0F-92E46B8D165B.png

frater01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly!!! And I don’t understand it! We can hunt lion fish that are invasive but not this coral?
It’s the same reason the American alligator or the shovel nose sturgeon is listed. Because it’s very similar in appearance to actually endangered species. The average person has no clue the difference between a dead and live coral let alone what species of coral is what. So it’s all illegal. But totally agree. Elk horn and stag horn could be quickly saved from the brink of extinction if hobbyists got a hold of it. Federal government is incompetent when it comes to rearing endangered species. Give it to a hobbyist though and the will have that figured out over night. I wish at the very least NOAA would issue permits to private Aquarists to keep these corlas as refuge populations.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the same reason the American alligator or the shovel nose sturgeon is listed. Because it’s very similar in appearance to actually endangered species. The average person has no clue the difference between a dead and live coral let alone what species of coral is what. So it’s all illegal. But totally agree. Elk horn and stag horn could be quickly saved from the brink of extinction if hobbyists got a hold of it. Federal government is incompetent when it comes to rearing endangered species. Give it to a hobbyist though and the will have that figured out over night. I wish at the very least NOAA would issue permits to private Aquarists to keep these corlas as refuge populations.

I don't really agree with that assessment. NOAA is partnering with public aquariums to develop disease protocols and to develop assurance populations (salvage) of many corals. Check out the work by the Florida Aquarium and Mote.

The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) has a huge coral restoration project that has done a lot of great work.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 23 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 150 78.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 19 9.9%
Back