OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both flame hawks keep going to the surface and keep bobbing their head up almost like their trying to escape, I haven’t seen any bullying from other fish, any idea why they would be doing this? They didn’t do it in the qt tank unless I was feeding and they saw me there. Not sure if it’s just that their still settling in and are a bit confused

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both flame hawks keep going to the surface and keep bobbing their head up almost like their trying to escape, I haven’t seen any bullying from other fish, any idea why they would be doing this? They didn’t do it in the qt tank unless I was feeding and they saw me there. Not sure if it’s just that their still settling in and are a bit confused

That behavior is called "piping". It generally means the fish is undergoing some extra stress. Be sure your tank is well-covered, as piping fish often jump out. If the hawkfish are feeding well and don't have ripped fins, I would just wait to see if they settle down.

Jay

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That behavior is called "piping". It generally means the fish is undergoing some extra stress. Be sure your tank is well-covered, as piping fish often jump out. If the hawkfish are feeding well and don't have ripped fins, I would just wait to see if they settle down.

Jay
Thank you, I’ll keep this thread updated as time goes on if they improve or get worse

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add another flame hawk too and think it will be ok. I started with one flame, and added a Longnose then another Longnose. Initially they fought for couple of weeks but now they’re hanging out together sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it go?
Went really good been together now since the start of this thread, no fighting and just get along. They sometimes stick together swimming side by side and other times each do their own thing but never seen either of them get agressive towards each other or any other fish

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add another flame hawk too and think it will be ok. I started with one flame, and added a Longnose then another Longnose. Initially they fought for couple of weeks but now they’re hanging out together sometimes.
Let us know how it goes! Something about the flame hawkfish that makes them so unique. I think it’s their eyes, it’s like the devil is watching you when their looking at you!

Back