Hello and welcome to the Marine Aquarium Club of SW Florida.

lex8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group. I live in Cape Coral and if I ever go to an LFS, it's almost always in the Miami area. And I get 99% of my CUC from the waters around the Middle Keys when we go snorkeling. There is a long thread here about snorkeling and there is a link to it in my signature.
Thanks, Ron! I'll definitely check out that snorkeling thread.

I've also enjoyed that Minimalist Reefer thread you have linked there. :)

lex8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @lex8! Love your IM tank. I live in Cape Coral 2 weeks per month. That will change when my daughter graduates from high school next year...then I'll be full time in FL

thanks @fishface NJ . That's a lot of travel! Where is your tank and what do you use to keep an eye on it when you are away?

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Ron! I'll definitely check out that snorkeling thread.

I've also enjoyed that Minimalist Reefer thread you have linked there. :)
Thanks. At one point about 10 years ago I had almost 700g of saltwater in our house (4 tanks and 2 sumps. Now I'm in the process of downsizing again from having two 40g tanks (one for coral and one for local collections) to just one 40g breeder aio tank.

I moved my livestock out of the 40g breeder to a 10g holding tank and then thoroughly cleaned out the 40g breeder and the aio insert.

Now I'm waiting for some new sand to arrive (today hopefully) and I'll start getting the sand, water and rockscape into the tank.

After is set up for a bit, I'll slowly start moving stuff from both the holding tank and the 40g cube aio that is 95% sps and lps corals to the 40g breeder.

The only fish I have are a pair of mated clowns and I'd be willing to give them away if anybody wanted to come and get them.

I want the new tank to be just corals, anemones, feather dusters, and CUC inverts like snails, hermit crabs, an emerald crab, a coral banded shrimp, a couple of serpent stars, a couple of small yellow sea cucumbers, a few small rock boring urchins and maybe my pet mantis shrimp.

I expect everybody to be moved over the next 3 or 4 weeks.

SCPReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody beautiful tanks, just wanted to say hello and join in on the local flavor. I'm in San Carlos Park in the Fort Myers area I currently have a red sea reef 20 gal mixed reef tank and a fluval 13.5 I use as qt/hospital tank. I've had the 20 up and going for a little over 2 years. Also just to ask what's everyone's favorite coral/fish and what make them special to you ?

image0.jpeg

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody beautiful tanks, just wanted to say hello and join in on the local flavor. I'm in San Carlos Park in the Fort Myers area I currently have a red sea reef 20 gal mixed reef tank and a fluval 13.5 I use as qt/hospital tank. I've had the 20 up and going for a little over 2 years. Also just to ask what's everyone's favorite coral/fish and what make them special to you ?

image0.jpeg
Nice tank! Love the elegance taking the center stage. That's one of my favorites along with acros.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SW Florida folks! I've reached out to a couple of you via PM already but also wanted to post here. I'll be visiting the area next week and would love any tips or suggestions on what not to miss! I'm staying on Sanibel Island and will have a rental car, but hope to use it as little as possible and maybe rent a bike (?)

Thanks in advance, and if anyone is interested in meeting up for a meal or an impromptu collection outing, let me know.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SW Florida folks! I've reached out to a couple of you via PM already but also wanted to post here. I'll be visiting the area next week and would love any tips or suggestions on what not to miss! I'm staying on Sanibel Island and will have a rental car, but hope to use it as little as possible and maybe rent a bike (?)

Thanks in advance, and if anyone is interested in meeting up for a meal or an impromptu collection outing, let me know.
I'm in Cape Coral and would love to attend a collection outing. All we need is a boat and someone who knows where to go(@Ron Reefman )...
Sanibel is a destination all by itself, you would only need a bike on the island. Beyond that, you will want(need) to drive. There is the Imaginarium, in ft.myers, haven't been in many years but it's cool. Naples zoo is nice, they have giraffes,lions, tigers etc. There are guides that will take you out in the gulf, it's beautiful out there. How long will you be down here? What kind of places are you looking to go/ see?

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi,

Welcome to visiting SW Florida. Sanibel is a very nice place to visit. The Bailey Mathews National Shell Museum is very informative and just recently re-opened after Hurricane Ian. If you want to do any shelling, the Sanibel beaches are great, but it's best if you get out there early... like right around sunrise! We've seen people with flashlights and headlamps out there even before sunrise!

I'm not sure how much time I'll have available. My wife just had a fairly major surgery is somewhat limited in how much she can do (mostly endurance issues). On top of that, she has a variety of other doctor appointments and radiation treatments. So I'm sticking pretty close to home for her.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Welcome to visiting SW Florida. Sanibel is a very nice place to visit. The Bailey Mathews National Shell Museum is very informative and just recently re-opened after Hurricane Ian. If you want to do any shelling, the Sanibel beaches are great, but it's best if you get out there early... like right around sunrise! We've seen people with flashlights and headlamps out there even before sunrise!

I'm not sure how much time I'll have available. My wife just had a fairly major surgery is somewhat limited in how much she can do (mostly endurance issues). On top of that, she has a variety of other doctor appointments and radiation treatments. So I'm sticking pretty close to home for her.
Completely understandable! I hope she has a smooth recovery.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do any shelling, the Sanibel beaches are great, but it's best if you get out there early... like right around sunrise! We've seen people with flashlights and headlamps out there even before sunrise!
Is this primarily due to limited parking or just advice on finding the best shells?

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this primarily due to limited parking or just advice on finding the best shells?
Parking can be a bit of an issue. But most of the snowbirds are gone and summer tourists have not arrived yet. Good timing by you!

It's mostly about finding good shells. In the recent past, before Hurricane Ian, the beach was lined with condos and resorts full of people who just walked out their door and onto the beach, so shells got snapped up quickly. I haven't been to Sanibel in awhile, but it was just like Ft Myers Beach were 90% of the big high rise condos and hotels are still closed for repair. And this is 20-21 months after Ian. So, maybe less people and better shelling?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back