Is a “what was this?” Post even appropriate?

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for theories… and apologies in advance but small tank, BC 14, with skimmer, bio balls, 2 powerheads, pretty full of LR, 2 clowns a big condy (hosting), 5 crabs & 2 bumblebees + a bunch of mushrooms… but no parameters since i was told to just do WC and leave it alone…

So my little BC was completely milky this morning (did i overfeed? Did my frozen go bad in thenmove?! It’s all best fine…) i left it alone, turned up the skimmer, no WC since I did one 3 days ago and have been told not to so close, but then saw my crab who just molted struggling and scrambled to change the airstone for faster results…

The skimmer kicked into high gear, i looked down at my condy and there’s some wad of chewed up crud on it, that my little clown keeps trying to remove but keeps dropping!

I quickly grabbed the gunk with tweezers, and assume it fell off the bottom of the skimmer/ airstone as i did the swap over the tank- ALL OF MY TANK inhabitants are accounted for- but my skimmer looked so full and milky this morning i was literally afraid one of my fish was in there!

The gunk looked like a wad of white and brown gum and i have a nasty picture lol but seriously! What the heck? Even if my frozen went bad i have never seen anything like this…

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will spare the pic unless anyone wants it lol but any ideas?

And now more motivated than ever to figure out how to move to the larger tank..

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But an airstone?
I thought it sounded like that was added to help when they saw the crab struggle.

Now rereading it, says change the airstone.

OP post really doesn't make sense lol

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school biocube skimmers used wooden airstones.
yes- sorry if i misspoke! It was called an airstone by the person who gave it to me so that’s what stuck with me :)

This is a 10 year old established oceanic BC 14 with i guess technically a lee’s “woodstone” in the skimmer :)

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it sounded like that was added to help when they saw the crab struggle.

Now rereading it, says change the airstone.

OP post really doesn't make sense lol
Do the new ones not have them in the skimmer? Lol looking to upgrade to a 32 soon so this is news to me :)

Mine’s an old school oceanic BC 14 with skimmer & i guess it’s technically a “woodstone” in there :) it was given to me with very little info :) a little terrified about the necessary upgrade for my condy…

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… but no parameters since i was told to just do WC and leave it alone…
You need test kits in this hobby, otherwise you are just flying blind. Everyone should know their water parameters inside out.

My favortite reef quote is from David Saxby, he said something like "I don't take care of my reef, I take care of the water and the water takes care of the reef".

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer kicked into high gear, i looked down at my condy and there’s some wad of chewed up crud on it, that my little clown keeps trying to remove but keeps dropping!
Sounds like your condy pooped.

Limewood airstone skimmers are the vacuum tube amps of reefkeeping. Very cool. :)

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 97 75.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 14 10.9%

Back