Just upgraded and could use some advice

Matt Scars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just upgraded my 10 gallon to a 29 and tried to do everything right this time without cutting corners or any half @$$ed DIY work and still have some troubles.

I have a problem with my skimmer placing a LOT of bubbles into the tank, and I was under the impression that, that was bad! Any Ideas on how to fix that? This is a SeaClone 150 Skimmer with a modded propeller or something? I'm not sure. I know it looks like a normal propeller but it has holes in it.

Also, I finally have T5-HO's after many moons of MiniCompactFlouresents and T-8's in a wal-mart fixture. And I have Geisemann Bulbs, in this order
1) 10,000k Daylight (back of tank)
2) Actinic +
3) Pure Actinic
4) Actinic +

I have a Coralife 10,000K, a couple Fijji?(not sure if thats how its spelled) Actinics and a 10,000K just laying here and can place them in the fixture if need be.

I have mainly Mushrooms, Zooanthids (like 40 polyps all together), Zenia, Feather Dusters, and some star polyps that refuse to see daylight.
I have 2 ClownFish, a Zebra Goby (Bar Goby), and A Lawnmower Blenny

Any Suggestions or Anything?
Here are PiXXX, you can see all of the bubbles on the right side that the skimmer is putting in the tank. I would also like to add that I just finished adding everything about 3 hours ago so its still a bit cloudy!
dscf1414l.jpg

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats alot of actinic, I would put another 10k in, the skimmer can be tuned down, placed in sump, or put a little piece of foam filter under where it drains from skimmer, the bubbles are only bad if they are ticking off coral.

fishman1069

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seaclone 100 and IMO they are a point of sale. I use a peice of hard filter floss, cut to the same size of the return slide. I wrap a rubber band around it so it stays in place. Change it out every 5 to 7 days, as it get pretty dirty. HTH I'll try to get a pic up when my lights come on

fishman1069

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of pics. If I had a choice, I would definatley go with a better skimmer. If you cant get one in you sump, I would try an octo HOB or Aqua c remora that hangs on the back. Im gonna upgrade my skimmer when I get the cash. Anyway here are the pics
seaclonereturn.jpg

seclonereturn1.jpg

OP
OP
M

Matt Scars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, a lot.. I'm going to give that a try! Do you think using some POLYFILTER would work alright on the return of the protein skimmer? Like a small Added Advantage?

About the lights, should I take out the Pure Actinic or The Actinic Plus? I don't want to see two different colors going on in there? Any thoughtS?

Fragged_it

Dremel_Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think using some POLYFILTER would work alright on the return of the protein skimmer? Like a small Added Advantage?

My only experience with Polyfilter is on fresh water systems. If I had to take a guess, and hopefully someone else will follow up on this, I would think the polyfilter has the potential to remove some beneficial trace elements. That is a guess, but erroring on the safe side is always good.

About the lights, should I take out the Pure Actinic or The Actinic Plus? I don't want to see two different colors going on in there? Any thoughtS?

I would maintain the two actinic plus bulbs and run two 10K's. I would set the 10k's on a timer and run them a 4 hours less than the actinics. Coming on 2 hours after the actinic and going off 2 hours before the white bulbs (10K) go out. That isn't to critical on all T5 fixtures, but it's nice for viewing your tank under two different conditions.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could get a filter socks that ties on and place it on the output side of the skimmer, i have a modded coralife ss220 as my backup skimmer incase something happened with the octo and had to run a filter sock on it due to bubbles but like i said i dont use it very often, its just my backup skimmer.
as long as you can somehow ties the filter sock to it that will solve the bubble issue

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back