Low PH

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheato, kalk. i actually have a lower pH in the winter than in the summer...i also live in the northeast though.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheato, kalk. i actually have a lower pH in the winter than in the summer...i also live in the northeast though.

I agree.

This is really really old school but it works. And works regardless of what type of tank.

pH goes low as carbon dioxide goes up. The macros (or other plant life) consume that carbon dioxide so the tank (hopefully) becomes as net producer of oxygen and consumer of carbon dioxide every 24 hour period.

Which can not help but be anything but good for the tank.

And it works regardless of what else is going on, like circulation, summer, winter, filtration, water changes, dosing, and so on.

In fact a tank with none of those things (no filter, no circulation) will have a high pH and good fish conditions if you just start it with macro algaes and get them thriving. Then do the rest.

just my old school .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
Surf&turf

Surf&turf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I figured disturbing the water surface produced enough gas exchange, but I guess if Carbon Dioxide
builds in the house then it would just equalize in the tank and not go anywhere.

Last edited:

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usualy low PH is because of a closed up house, winter time and summer time with AC on. If you need to add an ALK suplement use baked baking soda, not baking soda, baked baking soda will raise Alk and PH, baking soda will raise Alk but keep Ph about the same. Also your skimmer are intake if can be taken from outside air will help also. I am going to add some great reading material on this.
Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back