Minimum microns of activated carbon block for RO system

Richi888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, whats the minimum microns filter capacity a sintered activated carbon block filter should have? Is it 10 or is 20 um still okay at a country with very high chlorine concentration in feed water?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some info
chlorine removal

Particle size:
Activated carbon is commonly available in 8 by 30 mesh (largest), 12 by 40 mesh (most common), and 20 by 50 mesh (finest). The finer mesh gives the best contact and better removal, but at the expense of higher pressure drop. A rule of thumb here is that the 8 by 30 mesh gives two to three times better removal than the 12 by 40, and 10 to 20 times better kinetic removal than the 8 by 30 mesh.

Flow rate:
Generally, the lower the flow rate, the more time the contaminant will have to diffuse into a pore and be adsorbed. Adsorption by activated carbon is almost always improved by a longer contact time. Again, in general terms, a carbon bed of 20 by 50 mesh can be run at twice the flow rate of a bed of 12 by 40 mesh, and a carbon bed of 12 by 40 mesh can be run at twice the flow rate of a bed of 8 by 30 mesh. Whenever considering higher flow rates with finer mesh carbons, watch for an increased pressure drop!

OP
OP
R

Richi888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets assume from the tap comes 2,90589 gallons (11 L/min) at 43 PSI (3 Bar) straight into sediment filter, then carbon filter, then again a sediment filter.

I need at least >= 30 PSI AFTER those three prefilters in order to feed the pump.

I want to remove chlorine so that my membrane is protected.

What carbon filter would you recommend?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back