need advice

glacierdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gal ona stand that is 24"l x 12.5"w x 24" H. Problem is I would like to put in a sump/refugium under it and am not handy enough to build one and the ones I have looked at are wider. In your opinion should I try and find a bigger stand, sell this tank and start over with a pre-drilled tank(because I have concerns about power outages and flooding our wood floor) and larger stand, any advice is really appreciated. I've been banging my head against the wall because I would really like to go with sump filtration(which I've never done). Thanks

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a new tank drilled with a sump. You will love it. I feel you can have a more stable system with a sump.

OIIIIIO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, a 55g will not offer you much in the way of decent aquascaping due to its limited width. Pre-drilled may be the way to go if you aren't comfortable drilling one yourself. I just hate the lost space inside the tank for most of the predrilled tanks.

OP
OP
G

glacierdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on where to purchase pre-drilled quality glass aquariums, sumps, stands etc.?

OIIIIIO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye out on craigslist for reef-ready tanks that are at least 18" in depth and less than 30" in depth. Also, try not to get bow front, hex or wave tanks as they are difficult with lighting due to shape.

Sumps are easy to make out of standard tanks. Get your tank/stand first and get the largest sump you can to fit in the stand.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye out on craigslist for reef-ready tanks that are at least 18" in depth and less than 30" in depth. Also, try not to get bow front, hex or wave tanks as they are difficult with lighting due to shape.

Sumps are easy to make out of standard tanks. Get your tank/stand first and get the largest sump you can to fit in the stand.

+1 I was going to suggest the exact same thing!!

Another suggestion that I'm sure someone has already told you or you have read, buy the best equiptment your budget will allow the first time! Trust me on this one! I have tried every way to be cheap about it and have ended up spending more in the long run PLUS eventually buying the good stuff anyway! Especially skimmers and powerheads. Just my opinion and experience!

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, new tank, -if your gonna do it, do it right!!!

If you have the space, put the 55 on the floor as a sump mine is behind my 75 display so that I have enough heigth to grow mangroves, and enough room to access all areas f the sump/ fuge.
sutuf051.jpg

Fragged_it

Dremel_Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, new tank, -if your gonna do it, do it right!!!

If you have the space, put the 55 on the floor as a sump mine is behind my 75 display so that I have enough heigth to grow mangroves, and enough room to access all areas f the sump/ fuge.

+1

Nice setup.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back