Neptune Wav pumps discontinued?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as no one has had any available this year I’m guessing they finally laid these to rest. I figured it was only a matter of time after the whole aperture, Ecotech, ai, brs deal. Just had another give up the ghost, which is my typical one or two out of six…every 18 month failure. Off to email Neptune cs to see about yet another replacement. Definitely not looking forward to replacing 6 wavs with as expensive as pumps are now (Deja vu as I made a similar post the last time when I lost two of the six pumps, but pricing has gone up a lot in that time frame)! Would be nice if they sold replacements within their umbrella of products that plug into the one link port to help with the rats nest of wires and power bricks that would be needed (another deja vu post from the past). Last time I lost pumps I figured that Neptune wouldn’t be dealing with sicce on these once the contract and stock had run out since they’re competitors now. Appears to be the case. Bummer as the pumps really were great, albeit often short lived.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid you are likely right. I had one kick out recently, about 14 months, and was told to buy an Ecotech pump instead.
Yeah, over four hundred smackaroos a piece (for a mp40) plus a power brick and controller to deal with, ugh. People love them, no doubt. Even the Nero’s are up there in price. Not to mention throwing in mxm, mobius, or more outlets that I don’t have. Sure would be nice to have a one link compatible pump!

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I’ve ran an MP10 for over 7 years and it works like the day I bought it. The wet side is still good after all that time. I bought an extra wet side to swap between cleaning. Best $350 I ever spent ….worth every penny.

lilzbra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new MXM module opens the doors to bringing Mobius devices into Apex. Very similar to the old WXM that was retired years ago. Now that Apex/Ecotech/AI are all one company, and the MXM is in production it makes sense to do away with them. I wonder if the CORE return pumps will be next?

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid you are likely right. I had one kick out recently, about 14 months, and was told to buy an Ecotech pump instead.
Neptune told you this
1691899753170.gif

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new MXM module opens the doors to bringing Mobius devices into Apex. Very similar to the old WXM that was retired years ago. Now that Apex/Ecotech/AI are all one company, and the MXM is in production it makes sense to do away with them. I wonder if the CORE return pumps will be next?
Have you seen the threads on the mxm? Seems like it has been not so great. Hopefully they’re working everything out. Altogether though it’s crazy expensive. Any combination of mp or Nero pumps to replace six wavs on a 3/4” thick glass high flow bare bottom tank plus the addition of an mxm module is over $2500 (even just two to start plus the mxm is close to a grand). Not to mention needing a place to put all the controllers, power bricks, and adding yet another power strip as none of that is needed with wavs using the one link ports. Replacing wavs at the discounted $95 each as they fail every now and again isn’t necessarily cheap…. but it sure beat the alternative…..I rode that as long as I could though and now it’s time to start crying

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Seeing as no one has had any available this year I’m guessing they finally laid these to rest. I figured it was only a matter of time after the whole aperture, Ecotech, ai, brs deal. Just had another give up the ghost, which is my typical one or two out of six…every 18 month failure. Off to email Neptune cs to see about yet another replacement. Definitely not looking forward to replacing 6 wavs with as expensive as pumps are now (Deja vu as I made a similar post the last time when I lost two of the six pumps, but pricing has gone up a lot in that time frame)! Would be nice if they sold replacements within their umbrella of products that plug into the one link port to help with the rats nest of wires and power bricks that would be needed (another deja vu post from the past). Last time I lost pumps I figured that Neptune wouldn’t be dealing with sicce on these once the contract and stock had run out since they’re competitors now. Appears to be the case. Bummer as the pumps really were great, albeit often short lived.
product still listed on their accessory page but I too have seen none even at trade shows

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
product still listed on their accessory page but I too have seen none even at trade shows
They’ve been listed as out of stock even on Neptune’s store site for a very long time. Despite being listed as out of stock they did sell me two last year at half off so I’m hoping that’s still possible now but in any case, the writing is on the wall. I’ve been procrastinating for sure trying to hold out for a one link option but I’m realizing that just isn’t happening

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had the same issue....WAV died and needed to be replaced. Was told by my LFS that they definately were discontinued (will likely be a replacement in the coming months....maybe a wireless version similiar to MP40s?). I ended up replacing mine with AI Neros and the MXM module. By far the best powerheads I have ever used....and I have used them all lol.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the Connecticut Frag Famers Market last March and purchased a Wav. The Aperture Rep. told me that this may be the last pump in the Country due to the skyrocketing cost and availability of a single part.

That pump died in a few months and I was sent a replacement. I guess they aren’t replacing them anymore.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, they can't get parts for the pumps, or they are expensive to get. When you talk to a rep from Neptune, Ecotech, AI, BRS, etc. you are talking to Aperture Pet and Life reps. They all work for the same company, and may suggest another one of their brands as an alternative. I would hope they are working on a replacement line for that product, or maybe that was the purpose of the mxm module?

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering the same thing... Thought they were going toe discontinued. I have several Nero's on a 100g. They push a ton of water, especially the Nero 7. All controlled with the Apex via the MXM Module.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the Connecticut Frag Famers Market last March and purchased a Wav. The Aperture Rep. told me that this may be the last pump in the Country due to the skyrocketing cost and availability of a single part.

That pump died in a few months and I was sent a replacement. I guess they aren’t replacing them anymore.
The devil in me thinks it has more to do with them being made by sicce who isn’t under their umbrella of brands. They definitely had a longevity issue. For me, they seemed to always make it to the 18-24 month mark. A couple months is pretty bad.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a chinese brand pump 'cough cough jebao'.
Believe me, I’m thinking about it! I do despise the knock off deal and what that entails but the way pricing is it’s hard not to consider it. I know there’s the aquarium tax we all pay but things are kinda out of control and just blatantly overpriced. I don’t need anymore apps that’s for sure! Soon they’ll have to come out with an app to manage all your apps under one app! Ha

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, they can't get parts for the pumps, or they are expensive to get. When you talk to a rep from Neptune, Ecotech, AI, BRS, etc. you are talking to Aperture Pet and Life reps. They all work for the same company, and may suggest another one of their brands as an alternative. I would hope they are working on a replacement line for that product, or maybe that was the purpose of the mxm module?
You would think that they could package some of there in house brand of pumps without a controller/power brick and with a one link connector that would plug right in. One of the major selling points of the wav was the clean install without the rats nest off power bricks and controllers! I know the one link is 24vdc and most pumps are 12vdc but a software update could probably limit what the one link sends out as it’s variable anyway. A replacement…that lives longer than two years would sure be nice!

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering the same thing... Thought they were going toe discontinued. I have several Nero's on a 100g. They push a ton of water, especially the Nero 7. All controlled with the Apex via the MXM Module.
People seem to like their Nero’s so far. No problems with the mxm? I’ve read a lot of complaints, even with things as simple as anti sync not being an option.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 76 53.1%
  • NO

Votes: 44 30.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back