planning stages...

majestikmoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only one very small salt tank, already hooked.
i wanted to throw out a rough idea of my next tank, and the re-do i hav eplanned for my current tank-for equipment/stocking suggestions and feedback...

current tank is a 20L:

when i re-do it, i want to keep my clown pair(i hope they pair up, there is a size difference already-but they came from a group of 6, i took the 2 smallest)
i know they can do with out an anemone, and they ones they DO assosiate with get rather large-is there a smaller(or 20L appropriate) species that has been successfully substituted?

i would like to add a pair or trio of zebra dartfish(probably a pair), and likely a shrimp or 2. if im pushing the bioload, let me know. with my freshwater experience, im an avid believer in frequent waterchanges, which is fresh will help with a *slightly" overstocked tank-i don't know if this holds true for salt-i don't want to push it though, especially if i can find an anemone.

i also love the look of heavy macroalgae-how much is "too much"?

for filtration on that tank-i have a HOT magnum "canister" that hangs on the back-it can go up to 50 gallons, but i have found that to be a stretch on my fresh tanks...currently, im running 2 smaller biowheels-but those are slightly noisey, that magnum is the quietest thing for its size.
also-i am planning to convert a filter to a fuge.

i am planning out a 30 breeder set up as well
i am really drawn to the pink caribsea crushed coral(live). i have again used their line for several fresh set-ups, and have been really pleased. i am also using their black live sand for my current salt set up.

tons of live rock(duh!)

i would love some ideas on some "easy" and colorful invert ideas!
for this tank-i am looking into either a black perc. pair-or the "platinum" clowns-those have really caught my eye.

firefish(still undecided between the regular orange fire goby-or the purple ones(can't remember the "proper" name). would love feedback if you've kept both, for comparison.

i am also liking the yellow clown gobies(i have seen some green ones too). i've been told these are fine to keep in groups-is that right?
any other suggestions as to stocking?

i've maintained sumps before(on tanks where i have worked, or serviced for others) but they've all been freshwater sumps-i understand its the same general idea. i've never built one before though, so im nervous(which is silly, i know, lol). so im not sure if i want to run a sump, a canister or what on this tank.

does anyone see anything glaringly wrong with my ideas so far? i know they are still rough sketches, but im really bad for plannign my future tanks early(i actually have a whole notebook of fresh/salt tank ideas, stocking, equip and 'scaping sketches, haha).

thanks!

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your enthusiasm. :)

I'm not sure I would keep the dartfish with a pair of occellaris in a 20 gallon tank. The ocellaris are boisterous and may intimidate the dartfish leaving your dartfish stressed. If they do pair up they may also become very territorial.

One other thing, I would be very careful with the large water changes. Saltwater is an entirely different animal than fw. Coming from a fw planted background I was used to doing 50% wc weekly also. One mistake with your parameters can shock the hell out of a sw system. It's easier to avoid making those mistakes by making smaller water changes than to try to rectify the problem afterwards.

Erin

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

majestikmoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well shoot...any ideas on what could live with the clowns in a 20L? dartfish make me smile...

i noramlly do 20-30% on my fresh tanks weekly. my smaller betta tanks get changed more often, and well, sometimes i forget, so on those occasions i go like 40-50%.

i was thinking 15% would be fine with the salts-is that too much?

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15% sounds good.

If I were in a 20 with a pair of occies I might consider a clownfish goby or neon gobie. The clownfish gobies have a little more spunk than dartfish whereas neon gobies are usually ignored by tank mates.

I'm sure others will offer suggestions too. I've never tried anything smaller than a 58 so take my opinions with a grain of salt. :)

Erin

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back