Quarantine Cheato ?

NicolasRoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.

There is a thread on this same topic but it dates back to 2015 so I thought I would revive the discussion.

A trusted reefer in my city generously gave me a handful of cheato. I say he's a trusted reefer because he's been in the hobby for long and has a well established and beautiful tank.
Still I decided to quarantine the cheato. So right now it's in a bucket with water from my display tank and a little water flow from a small return pump.
I have also dipped the Cheato once in Coral RX for 10 min from which only a bristle-worm came out. The cheato survived the dip (I was a little afraid it would kill it or part of it).

Question: How long do you think I should keep the cheato in quarantine to make sure it's free from potentially nasty stuff? any recommendation? Also, can I occasionally dip the cheato again in Coral RX or will it do more harm than good?

Thanks

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think there's much to worry about imo , if you have to do it do it until you feel confident enough!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my cheato in QT for just a few days, didn't do any dip so I can't speak about the efficacy or potential harm of that. My greatest tool was 10x magnifying glass. Looked clean to me so I threw it in.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm....personally, I think it depends on what you're putting the chaeto into. If you're looking to breed fish, or feed a lot of suspended foods, I'd do a fenbendazole dip, then move the clump into a sterile bucket. This would kill off hydroids. I'm not sure if chaeto is fenbendazole sensitive or not, so it might be useful to start with a small clump, wait a week, and then do the rest of the clump.

I'd also personally just quarantine for around 11 weeks. This would make sure any parasites that are fish dependent (Cryptocaryon, Amyloodinium, etc.) die off in the quarantine process.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 88 54.0%
  • NO

Votes: 50 30.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back