Remove filters when using Dr.Tim’s?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a new QT setup. 60 breeder with marineland hob filter and a couple powerheads and heater and pvc fittings.

When dosing Dr.Tim’s… do I remove the blue filter cartridges from the hob filter for 48 hours? The bottle only says turn off uv, ozone, skimmer and remove filter socks. Which I’m assuming the blue filter pad cartridges are essentially same similar thing as filter socks? Am I correct in assuming that? So should I remove them for 48 hours?

Also have marinepure bio filter media brick I have had in the drain section of my sump from my 310 that have been in it for 10 days that I planned on placing in the hob filter while I dose the Dr.Tim’s.
C676C0F9-38D5-4E67-BC6F-6520FE7C7ADB.jpeg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle only says turn off uv, ozone, skimmer and remove filter socks. Which I’m assuming the blue filter pad cartridges are essentially same similar thing as filter socks? Am I correct in assuming that? So should I remove them for 48 hours?
agreed.

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
they tell you to remove the filter socks because the bacteria. will colonize on it instead of the rock bed and rocks .

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if any aquarium filtration unit had such low micron size media and channel control as to catch waterborne bacteria and prevent pass through, it couldn’t function as an aquarium filter. Since we are looking at a very effective aquarium filter above, forty+ years used in the hobby, we know it’s micron size is no where near able to stop bacteria pass through. the channels in that floss look like the Grand Canyon to bacterial cells

You can run skimmers and any filters you want and a cycle won’t stop.

I honestly believe the number of searchable cycles my friends and I have completed number at 1000 now on the site, not once did I ever inquire if they have a filter on or off, a sock on or off, a uv lamp on or off. Those instructions come from the same seller that said nitrite will stall a reef tank cycle, we know it does not.

not once in a thousand completed cycles did nitrite factor into their logged cycle completion date + fish stocking.

telling people these rules gives them doubt, so they’ll buy another round of bacteria

if we invent ten things that stop a cycle and tell those to reefers who will inevitably cause those ten things in a tank setup, millions of dollars in extra bacteria will be sold, this is how the game works to get our cash and transfer it out

when we dump bottle bac into a reef tank, feed it, and give ten day’s wait everything is fine

if we were taught that way, far less extra bacteria could be sold, so don’t look for that to be taught from a Macna podium-ever.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes take it out. It isn't that the filters "filter out" the bacteria, but that the bacteria likes to stick to surfaces (carbon+filter pads are perfect), and they can colonize that. I don't think it is a major concern but it helps you get your money's worth to take them out.

EverythingAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if any aquarium filtration unit had such low micron size media and channel control as to catch waterborne bacteria and prevent pass through, it couldn’t function as an aquarium filter. Since we are looking at a very effective aquarium filter above, forty+ years used in the hobby, we know it’s micron size is no where near able to stop bacteria pass through. the channels in that floss look like the Grand Canyon to bacterial cells

You can run skimmers and any filters you want and a cycle won’t stop.

I honestly believe the number of searchable cycles my friends and I have completed number at 1000 now on the site, not once did I ever inquire if they have a filter on or off, a sock on or off, a uv lamp on or off. Those instructions come from the same seller that said nitrite will stall a reef tank cycle, we know it does not.

not once in a thousand completed cycles did nitrite factor into their logged cycle completion date + fish stocking.

telling people these rules gives them doubt, so they’ll buy another round of bacteria

if we invent ten things that stop a cycle and tell those to reefers who will inevitably cause those ten things in a tank setup, millions of dollars in extra bacteria will be sold, this is how the game works to get our cash and transfer it out

when we dump bottle bac into a reef tank, feed it, and give ten day’s wait everything is fine

if we were taught that way, far less extra bacteria could be sold, so don’t look for that to be taught from a Macna podium-ever.
Yes take it out. It isn't that the filters "filter out" the bacteria, but that the bacteria likes to stick to surfaces (carbon+filter pads are perfect), and they can colonize that. I don't think it is a major concern but it helps you get your money's worth to take them out.
Wow! I’ve been searching for an answer like this for quite some time! I was told to remove my filter sock on my freshwater planted tank and it boggled my mind??

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
our hobby is literally built on statements about what kills, limits or starves filter bacteria in our reef tanks and the whole thing isn't true. Those bacteria do fine in each case I've ever seen when the focus setup is a reeftank, and a known wait timeframe until it can carry fish added.

in my estimate 98% of what people say about reef tank cycling and filtration online simply does not pan out when the test meter changes that people use to get data and relay it to us in cycling challenges

as soon as more people report seneye readings from their tanks, all the reported noncompliance from filter bacteria will change to a near zero rate.

we will see: not much we do in variance during a cycle matters after day ten.

I have never seen a failed reef tank bottle bac cycle by day ten, a cycle that could not carry fish wanted by day ten. I've seen only throngs of api and red sea misreads and those impacts.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if any aquarium filtration unit had such low micron size media and channel control as to catch waterborne bacteria and prevent pass through, it couldn’t function as an aquarium filter.
What is "channel control"?

Anyway, the takeaway is that the bacteria will not be "filtered out" but will quickly colonize the high surface area filter fabric. Meaning that a portion of the seeded bacteria will be on the filter sock instead of the rock and therefore likely to be removed if the media is changed.

This would slow the colonization of the rock and substrate, not prevent it. The advice to remove the media during initial seeding is reasonable.

I honestly believe the number of searchable cycles my friends and I have completed number at 1000 now on the site,
Not every conversation has to be reference to "work threads". It just confuses the issue.

The concept is simple here. If you don't remove the media after it colonizes then there is no issue. The instructions err on the side of ease for the least amount of explanation so that they don't have to spell out every scenario.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you take them out,,, for the reasons stated.

Dr. Tim knows what he is talking about.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun project: try and link one example from anywhere on the internet where running filter padding in any format stopped or slowed a reef tank cycle. I'm not sure we can advise of the risk, without seeing just one example from the billion reef tank posts available online.

anyone reading, just one example will do. *must exclude any api or red sea ammonia kit readings. let's see the example not coming from the two most misreading ammonia test kits on the planet.

as we search logs and logs of stuck cycle posts, that's times where an error on the part of a reefer slowed or killed the cycle, look for this theme:
-all reports are test kits from api and red sea, nobody's actual fish were dying. the actual tank condition you see in every stuck cycle post is a fully running reef tank, somone panicking due to what api or red sea says but no actual tank symptoms, and some reactive retail purchase to ease that panic (the mechanism described last year)

until we see a digital ammonia test setup, and a system that couldn't carry fish while having elevated ammonia, we'll have the working example.

I've been looking for one of those examples for about 6 years now

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun project: try and link one example from anywhere on the internet where running filter padding in any format stopped or slowed a reef tank cycle. I'm not sure we can advise of the risk, without seeing just one example from the billion reef tank posts available online.

anyone reading, just one example will do. *must exclude any api or red sea ammonia kit readings. let's see the example not coming from the two most misreading ammonia test kits on the planet.
Can we maybe not attempt to turn every single conversation toward "work threads"?

This is mathematics in its most basic form. Provide food and bacteria multiply. Remove part of the bacteria and there are less bacteria to multiply. The end result comes faster if bacteria are not removed. Both systems will get to their endpoint, just one faster than the other. That's all. No need for "work threads" to prove any of this.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have marinepure bio filter media brick I have had in the drain section of my sump from my 310 that have been in it for 10 days that I planned on placing in the hob filter while I dose the Dr.Tim’s.
To cut to the chase.

You likely don't need the bottled bacteria, but it will not hurt. If you don't plan on removing the media, then putting it in will not hurt.

I always wonder if moving media from an established tank to a QT is really a great idea, but I guess the QTd fish end up in the display anway.

Good luck with the QT

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a new QT setup. 60 breeder with marineland hob filter and a couple powerheads and heater and pvc fittings.

When dosing Dr.Tim’s… do I remove the blue filter cartridges from the hob filter for 48 hours? The bottle only says turn off uv, ozone, skimmer and remove filter socks. Which I’m assuming the blue filter pad cartridges are essentially same similar thing as filter socks? Am I correct in assuming that? So should I remove them for 48 hours?

C676C0F9-38D5-4E67-BC6F-6520FE7C7ADB.jpeg
Just set up the system like you are going to use it. Add the "filter media brick" and cycle the QT system.

Livestock will come with its own bacteria and viruses ?

What is in Dr. Tim's ? Bacteria ? Ammonia.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always wonder if moving media from an established tank to a QT is really a great idea, but I guess the QTd fish end up in the display anway.

Good luck with the QT
I agree.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just set up the system like you are going to use it. Add the "filter media brick" and cycle the QT system.

Livestock will come with its own bacteria and viruses ?

What is in Dr. Tim's ? Bacteria ? Ammonia.
They will come with their own bacteria and viruses - however the rest of your post *unless I'm misunderstanding - does not make sense. Dr. Tims is an ammonia product - to which one adds a bacteria product (from my understanding)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back