Reverse Osmosis

scomar31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a reverse osmosis filtration system for water changes worth the $$$$? Will tap water that is mixed and then sits for 24 hours okay to use?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best things you can possibly do for your tank is invest in a quality ro/di unit. You will be happy you did.

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quality ro/di units dont cost an arm and a leg anymore, and are a worthy investment. airwaterice.com and bulkreefsupply.com both have affordable units.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the rest of the replies. Using RODI water will save you a lot of headaches. Tap water can cause high phosphates resulting in algae problems and problems keeping certain coral alive.

cykenp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quality ro/di units dont cost an arm and a leg anymore, and are a worthy investment. airwaterice.com and bulkreefsupply.com both have affordable units.

I agree w/ gilmour, the 180-200 investment you put in an RO/DI unit is worth your corals looking better and growing faster which also means more frags for you to sell/trade.

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro/di

I was using "Conditioned Tap Water" for the first four months of my 110, only because I didnt understand why I would take all of the "Stuff" out just to put it back in.

So a little history on my water Aug thru Nov my water after mixing with salt and letting mix for 24 hours was perfect and when I say perfect it was perfect. Now something happened in Dec. lots of RTN on my LPS so I started testing the tank. When I tested the Nitrates, instant cranberry sauce (API test kit) wow over 160 PPM dam that was bad. Made a new batch of "Conditionedd water" and my Nitrates were 80+ in the fresh salt water.

What I found out was our local water treatment facillity was using Amonium Nitrate to treat the water and this was being passed to me for free. How nice no charge. I went out to 75/150 GPD 4 Stage RO DI Water Filter & Dual TDS Meter - $169.95 : TB Aquatics - Top Quality Aquarium Products, Aquarium & Drinking Water Filtration, Amazing Service!
and got this unit. I now have an ATO system to my sump and a RO/DI unit to my mixing vessel and a RO line to my kitchen sink wife loves it and she quit buying those bottles by the case for me to lug around.

Ok so here is the deal did my first 35 gallon water change on a 110 gallon tank with RO/DI and went on vaction for four days (ya I was scared) but to my surprise the tank did great. Nitrates down to 20 wow and the growth in 4 days was incredalbe. My monti caps grew at least 1/4 inch in 4 days my birdsnest grew many new branches and had about the same growth, my Hollywood stunner chalice grew a 1/8 inch band all around it.

So to those of you who say snobe the RO/DI (and I was one of them) you are wrong in my opinion. And did you catch the Auto top off unit I have now this means no more lugging around 3-5 gallons a day to top off. That is the best part.....

MOD's if the link is inappropriate please remove.

Fragged_it

Dremel_Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI water is a must. If you can't afford a filter, talk to some local reefers and find a LFS that sells RO/DI water that stay on top of their filters. Water changes in a nano won't kill you to purchase water. But, over time you would of paid off your own RO/DI unit.

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a 6 stage ro/di from water general mfg .co it's very good i payed 135$ on ebay shiping was 30$ new filter's about 100 with gel pack 265$ that's 6 month's old and at 20 buck's a week getting from bpc that's 480$ that's 960 a year get a ro/di plus gas to go get it my water bill went up about10 buck's a month i use the waste water in my washer just drain it in but that's dooing a 20 gal a week change on my 110 gal

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is the single largest ingredient in a reef tank and everything depends on its quality.
I would not go the ebay route for an RO/DI, you really do get what you pay for. A good reef quality RO/DI with a TDS meter, pressure gauge, high quality filters, name brand RO membrane and full sized vertical DI will only run you about $150 and the long term cost of ownership is much much less than a similar priced ebay unit when you consider how much longer the membrane and DI last between changes. Take a look at the ProPlus found here, its hard if not impossible to find a better bargain:

SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

They are also a R2R Sponsor and its good to support those who support this site and hobby!

Last edited:

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 76 53.1%
  • NO

Votes: 44 30.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back