Rubber feet only on side of stand?

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done building my NYOS 440 slim and ran into a query:

After putting the stand and its final location, we realized that from back to front, there’s a slight decline of only a couple degrees. After putting rubber feet on only the front side perimeter (not the middle beam on stand underside), we found that it is perfectly level at all places.

However, logically, I do not like the thought of the weight being spread out on the front 5 rubber feet and the back weight being spread against the back panel directly on the hardwood. This is just ringing alarm bells. Largest tank I have had so far is 50 so 100 gallons (440 liters) is a new experience.

what would be best practice instead?
- tank placed without rubber feet, Home Depot shims on front, smaller ones on back till level. All advice appreciated.
77023FE9-53D5-41BF-9F25-F9488B4C9A3B.jpeg 1A98F5C7-F4CC-403A-8322-3AA70DF71336.jpeg
Red dots show where these have been placed.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how shims would be better (or worse) than the rubber feet. Some very large tanks have leveling feet; the fact that you're only using them on one side, to me, shouldn't matter - in theory, the side without the feet will be better able to distribute the weight but as mentioned, some tanks sit entirely on feet.
The only possible suggestion I have is to consider adding some support (feet or shims) to the middle of the tank as well.

OP
OP
Paris by Night

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this evening we tried and added one of these rubber feet to the middle of the stand when we placed it back down all the front feet were off of the ground. By almost a the height of the foot. Looking back, this would tell me that it may be more flush than I believe against the ground.

To your point, perhaps I could add a soft shim that’s thinner than the feet are tall. That way when the tanks weight distributes there will eventually be an extra point of contact?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this evening we tried and added one of these rubber feet to the middle of the stand when we placed it back down all the front feet were off of the ground. By almost a the height of the foot. Looking back, this would tell me that it may be more flush than I believe against the ground.

To your point, perhaps I could add a soft shim that’s thinner than the feet are tall. That way when the tanks weight distributes there will eventually be an extra point of contact?
1. I don't know if the extra support is even needed.
2. What is the stand footprint?
3. If you want to add the middle support, my idea is to basically try to level the stand just using the middle supports (placed somewhat forward of the actual center so the back of the tank still rests on the floor) and then adjust the front feet to the correct depth.

*Also, I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, so hopefully others will weigh in :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Also, also... is the bottom of your stand completely flat? I have a 140 gallon (plus sump) and the stand was built with an exterior frame supporting it - only the edges touch the floor. If yours is like this then a middle support would be unnecessary.

OP
OP
Paris by Night

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The footprint is 49.5” by 21”. It has a middle support on the underside, it is not completely flat. The support runs across the bottom width wise *not* length. When it is on the ground with no feet, it all is touching Vice versa with feet it came with.

B30DE17C-900D-4EC3-B3F1-C49783489276.jpeg

Blue is middle beam underneath the panel that holds the sump.

OP
OP
Paris by Night

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the tank came with feet... were any feet supposed to go on the blue beam? I'm thinking that the small amount of height difference back to front isn't going to be an issue.
Yes, they were. I was under the impression that any excess pressure on the front pane is worth avoiding on a large rimless.

Maybe it would be worth just putting them on the middle beam and all other places. Oh, this hobby lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they were. I was under the impression that any excess pressure on the front pane is worth avoiding on a large rimless.

Maybe it would be worth just putting them on the middle beam and all other places. Oh, this hobby lol
Where is the excess pressure coming from?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from the tank unleveled with the slope going down from back to front. Putting more pressure on the front pane. If I make sense.
OK, but the alternative is pressure on both sides... assuming you put feet all the way around.

If you mean pressure by leaving it un-leveled, then I agree.

Back