OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what are the long skinny blue fish that look like torpedos ? absolutely gorgeous tank - i LOVE the corals on the back glass, that is going to look amazing when they grow out
Thank you :) Part of me is concerned I may have added too much too quickly. It's kind of crazy, this tank is actually only ~5 months since it was filled with water... Time will tell.

The long skinny fish are Scissortail Gobies! I got them from Dr Reef's Quarantined Fish (where I got all my fish). I expected them to be finnicky, spazzy, small and jumpy like firefish. They're actually the big bad honchos of the tank, surprisingly. And they are super chill, nothing phases them. Very nice, peaceful fish, and much larger than I expected.

Re: Encrusting corals... I agree, a friend of mine said he was doing the same with his tank, and I got fired up to do it with mine... So here we are! Thanks for your comment.

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any gobies yet - think I might need to look into these little fellows, so beautiful.

5 months is a lot of time to have your bacteria settled in. As long as you’re testing for no3/po4 and they’re In an acceptable range you should be just fine I’d think. Some of the filtering equipment In this hobby really allow for some ‘error’ on our part. I’ve got 13 fish in a 125 and it looks quite full but I think another 10-15 fish will fill it up and look finished

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Growth taking off with the hammers. Some that started with one head a few months ago are already at five heads... FTS 3-5-23:

3-5-23.jpeg

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Newest FTS from 5 mins ago. I’m really getting into SPS now. I purchased my first SPS frags a month ago and some have already grown 20-30%! So far so good… and I STILL need to learn how to take pics.

I added some new dry rocks in the main DT to seed a new all SPS system I will start soon! Yes, these look very ugly! ):
44B24A5E-B4A4-4F28-BD2A-348EEA5739B3.jpeg

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone... No FTS today, but here are some selected Acro growth shots.

Since I introduced the first acros two months ago, I haven't lost one piece, I'm very happy with the progress so far. In total I introduced 21 dif acros. I do appreciate any tips or observations from anyone that can offer it.

tort1.png
bill murray1.png
pc rainbow1.png

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone... No FTS today, but here are some selected Acro growth shots.

Since I introduced the first acros two months ago, I haven't lost one piece, I'm very happy with the progress so far. In total I introduced 21 dif acros. I do appreciate any tips or observations from anyone that can offer it.

tort1.png
bill murray1.png
pc rainbow1.png
Some great growth!

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No FTS. But some updates.

I decided I'm going in a pretty significantly different direction with things. I'm going to focus on SPS now, and thus decided to get another tank for more room. I will plumb this into the existing display (eventually, it is still cycling).

This tank is 60" x 24" x 16" (same dims as display, except 4" shorter).
new system.jpg

The tank is already full + has some fish/corals, but I'm still trying to stabilize things before I plumb it in to the main.

Now the struggle is that I have a ton of euphyllia, that I still like, but I have already noticed it is extremely difficult to optimize things for SPS while having a bunch of low flow/lower light preferring hammers. It's really a struggle but I want to make it work. I'm thinking I'll have some sort of lower, relatively blocked off area in the display/new tank where I'll stick all the euphyllia in a garden of sorts.

Anyways, the display is a mess right now with frag racks everywhere and changing aquascape. So I would post an FTS but it would be embarrassing. Instead here are some new SPS frags I am growing out, as well as me trying to be fancy with a hammer garden picture.

hammer_garden.png

SBB PQ.jpg

BM 8-21-23.jpg

GU 8-21-23.jpg

TGC T 8-21-23.jpg

As always I really do appreciate anyone's thoughts or tips on my situation. Thanks for reading!

Charlie

Back