Tank birthday, 47+ years

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the rattle in my Jeep. A few months ago it was recalled for the catalytic converter. To remove that they had to do it from underneath and Jeeps have a rock guard that protects the oil pan. It has about 7 bolts holding it on and is a heavy piece of steel about 2' wide.

The Jiboni's in Jeep left off at least 4 bolts and broke one in the hole so it has to be drilled out.
They are a weird metric size almost a 7/16th SAE bolt but not quite. I have a lot of Metric bolts but not that one and being it's Memorial Day, Jeep isn't open.

Tomorrow I will go back to Jeep to get some of those bolts. I don't want them to "fix" it because I don't trust them.
If they give me a hard time and want me to leave the vehicle with them, I will just go to a hardware store and buy the stupid bolts. This is a pain to fix because besides leaving off 4 bolts, the thing is on slightly crooked so some of the holes don't line up so I have to loosten all the bolts and drill out the broken one and use an "easy out" on it. I am to old for this nonsense but broke one of my rules by letting them work on my car.

The thing was recalled so it was free but nothing in life is free and if you want something done correctly, you need to do it yourself.
I had to look up 'jaboni.'

It's my new favorite word.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever dig up sand worms and feed them to the fish. Did that once chasing stripers. They love sand worms. You’d think so would anything we keep.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry mate but that's what you get when you buy a Jeep. Here in Australia Jeep is the vehicle with most call outs for Roadside assist.
Maybe thats how it is in Australia, but Here in the US I always had Jeeps. Way back in the 60s.
I made a lot of money with them and They were the vehicle that helped us win WW2 so to me it's also a patriotic thing. Of course they are not built in America any longer which drives me crazy. I would pay a lot more if they were built here.

The renegade I have now is built in Italy, where my Grand Parents were built and my wife's Jeep Compass was built in Mexico and the US. Something that also drives me nuts.

(I was in Australia in 1971 on R&R from Nam. Loved the place) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe thats how it is in Australia, but Here in the US I always had Jeeps. Way back in the 60s.
I made a lot of money with them and They were the vehicle that helped us win WW2 so to me it's also a patriotic thing. Of course they are not built in America any longer which drives me crazy. I would pay a lot more if they were built here.

The renegade I have now is built in Italy, where my Grand Parents were built and my wife's Jeep Compass was built in Mexico and the US. Something that also drives me nuts.

(I was in Australia in 1971 on R&R from Nam. Loved the place) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Don't get me wrong, american handtools are the best and made for life. And that Jeep in the picture is a Car, bet you it rattled in 10 spots and it didn't bother you. I hate all this cheap made in China or Malysia crap, rather pay a dollar more and buy local. And they reckon we solve the plroblem of global warming by driving E cars.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Willys Jeep above I got in about 1968 or so. I rebuilt the 4 cylinder engine and was amazed at the durability and craftsmanship of it. Everything in the engine is steel and there is no timing chain. Just a big gear with a plumbing pipe over it pouring oil on it.

The piston connecting rods are the longest I have ever seen and thats for torque, not speed as the thing was slow but it could pull down your Opera house, which was under construction when I was there. :grimacing-face:

The front hubs behind the wheels were cast iron and filled with 90 weight oil. The valves were so big that there were 4 of them in the head and 4 in the block.
Everything about it was built for war and it could be driven almost completely under water up to the windshield.

I loved that Jeep.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had to look it up, did you both mean Jabroni?
No it's a Jiboni. It's a slang term so I doubt you can google it. It means just how I described it. A person who doesn't know what they are doing or a Jeep Mechanic who installs a skid plate that has 8 bolts in it and leaves out 6 of them. :grimacing-face:

I went to Jeep this morning and they said I may have to wait all day. I told them that ain't going to happen so I made an appointment just in case and took the car home.

I have just about every bolt known to mankind but can't find these bolts. I think they are a weird Jeep Propriority
bolt as SAE don't fit, course or fine and neither does metric bolts.

The thread is "almost" 17/64ths as I got a tap to go in without to much pressure. I will go to a hardware store now to see if I can get these bolts and put a few in while I am waiting to go back to Jeep.

It's much easier and quicker to just fix the thing myself but it's the principle of the thing.

Also the plate is on crooked so some of the bolts won't fit unless it is all loosened and moved. They also broke one bolt in the frame so it has to be drilled out and removed with an "Easy Out" screw extractor.
Of course I have those but it's not really my job especially from a shop that charges $260.00 an hour for labor and they seem to have 8 year old girls doing the work as my Grand Daughter could have done it better.

If she can't reach, she can wear her new shoes.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jiboni - jabroni - same guy different school system.
Spelled differently depending on who writes it because it is slang word not a dictionary word with a set spelling. Most likely American slang for Italian giambone which literally means "ham". So dumb as a "ham".

Paul and anybody else with Italian heritage or grew up an Italian neighborhood, etc.) heard the word often in form or another.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire family came from the same fishing village in Sicily. :) I also heard Shuminite a lot. I am not sure how to spell it. :grimacing-face:

I bought some bolts and I painted them red. I will install them just so the things stops rattling until I get back to Jeep. I thought they left out 4 bolts, but they left off at least 6 which is almost all of them,

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire family came from the same fishing village in Sicily. :) I also heard Shuminite a lot. I am not sure how to spell it. :grimacing-face:

I bought some bolts and I painted them red. I will install them just so the things stops rattling until I get back to Jeep. I thought they left out 4 bolts, but they left off at least 6 which is almost all of them,
Same with both sides of my Mother's family.... What town Paul? We could be cousins ;)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sciacca. It's to the west of Agragenta. (I can't spell that) It is due south of Palermo on the southern coast.

Sciacca.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back