Tank Overheating Temporary Solution

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Overheating?? Temporary Solution.....

For the past few days here in the Bay Area its been pretty nice mid to upper 70's but today it hit just about 90 and my tank was in pretty bad shape:sad:.I keep my tank at a steady 76-79 degrees but today I got home from a picnic and my sps and chalice didnt look happy at all:cry:.They werent peeling away but it looked very close to it.I walked in the front door and the first thing I think about when the weather heats up is my tank,walk over to the reefkeeper lite and its at 83.7 degrees:hell_boy:.I dont have a chiller and didnt think I would need one being that Im running T5's,but I found a very good temporary solution to my problem "cold packs" I know I have cold packs on tap in my freezer because I have 2 kids and us parents know how boo boo's come a dime a dozen:wink:.I dropped 1 big one in the sump and it slowly started dropping.I let it melt away and dropped the smaller 2 in and it started dropping more little by little.I got the tank back down to 80.2 in about 30 mins.Thank God for my kids and the invention of cold packs:bigsmile:

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pick you up one of these. I got mine from Wal Mart. That is all me and other local reefers are using. It's in the 90's here and I run 3 250w MH. I have it set on the reef keeper to cut on if the temp hits a certain temp. I only use it on medium and I never have problems. My buddy ditched his chiller over a year ago for one. :) WWC uses them to I believe.

51%2BGW3mO6hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Google Image Result for http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BGW3mO6hL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh also the blower rotates down so you can aim it. I have it sitting on a ledge above my sump.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are $45 right now at walmart.. picked one up yesterday.. But for some reason its All black and not that color REV.

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick you up one of these. I got mine from Wal Mart. That is all me and other local reefers are using. It's in the 90's here and I run 3 250w MH. I have it set on the reef keeper to cut on if the temp hits a certain temp. I only use it on medium and I never have problems. My buddy ditched his chiller over a year ago for one. :) WWC uses them to I believe.

51%2BGW3mO6hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Google Image Result for [URL]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BGW3mO6hL._SL500_AA280_.jpg[/url]
Thanks Rev,I will definitely be investing in one:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep it on topic dang it...lol

WT INC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to superiorenterprise shipping supply ,they sell cheap ice pack and heat pack

rvlockhart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small clip on fan mounted on the side of the tank blowing long ways across the water surface. I have it plugged in with the light timer.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes blowing across the sump water. Keeps me at 79 baby!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing you can do that Vegas reefers have adapted is freeze blocks of rodi and drop one on the sump as needed.... You got a chiller and ato all in one...;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no my friend. :)

My buddy blows the sump water as well. I have my 250w MH's in a canopy about 8" off the water and I can leave it closed. The fan will stay on most of the day if I do this, but it keeps the water cool enough to where the lights don't have to kick off or anything. :)

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing you can do that Vegas reefers have adapted is freeze blocks of rodi and drop one on the sump as needed.... You got a chiller and ato all in one...;)
Another great idea:)too bad I myself already invested in a ATO but definitely good for those with the heat issue and no ATO:)nice one troylee

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting to the point where Ill keep a couple ice trays full of RODI ice to drop in as needed.

The fans will cool the water through evaporation so be sure you have water in your topoff reservoirs!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back