hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running out of AB+ but have a big bottle of Vita Chem that I’ve been dosing 1/week. I want to start using it more and fell like this is the perfect time to bump up the dosage since I’m almost out of AB+.
It has small particles in it that seems like it would be good for Acros etc. has anyone had bad experiences dosing Vita Chem more than the recommended amount? And is it a good swap out for AB+

IMG_4970.jpeg

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for certain, but I didn't see any adverse effects when I stoped dosing AB+.

I dose AB+twice a week and soak the fish food in Vitachem and Selcon once a day. It seems to be working well.

I stopped red sea long while back and dose vitachem weekly for fish and corals.

I started bumping up the dosing end of last week. It gives a feeding response from the coral which is a plus. I use it when lights are off also. Did anyone see elevated nitrates or phosphates while using vita chem more frequently? I’m assuming there’s a reason for the label saying only dose to tank 1x a week

I do need to bring phosphates up from .02 which could be .0 but I’m using reef roids for that

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started bumping up the dosing end of last week. It gives a feeding response from the coral which is a plus. I use it when lights are off also. Did anyone see elevated nitrates or phosphates while using vita chem more frequently? I’m assuming there’s a reason for the label saying only dose to tank 1x a week

I do need to bring phosphates up from .02 which could be .0 but I’m using reef roids for that
No nitrates issues from it but my phosphate is always elevated for different reasons. I feed heavy and feed my corals too but I like the way vitachem works like a coral snow

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? I’m assuming there’s a reason for the label saying only dose to tank 1x a week

A MASH episode comes to mind when they ran out of pain meds and were relying on the placebo effect to convince patients they were feeling less pain. In one scene where a patient was still in pain, they said they could give a little more in just this case, but the placebo drug was too strong to give more than that.

Bacterial blooms might be another reason.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, but I tend to keep my nitrate and phosphate on the higher end of normal.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back