Water

henryriesett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I know this is a lot to read, but I hope you can help. At the moment, I do not use RODI water. I obtained my local water files, and am wondering if they are good enough I don’t need RODI. I am attaching the picture here of the file. Thanks.
IMG_2206.jpeg

OP
OP
H

henryriesett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I know this is a lot to read, but I hope you can help. At the moment, I do not use RODI water. I obtained my local water files, and am wondering if they are good enough I don’t need RODI. I am attaching the picture here of the file. Thanks.
IMG_2206.jpeg
Forgot to say but of course I do dechlorinate also.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Asking ignorance what is TDS? Don't see that number
The provide a turbidity measurement (water clarity) and amounts of certain dissolved solids. I would assume that total TDS is simply not provided.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The provide a turbidity measurement (water clarity) and amounts of certain dissolved solids. I would assume that total TDS is simply not provided.
Sorry I know what TDS represents. I bought a no waste RO system by watts and added a DI filter. Would not use anything else even though about $ 600 total. One less thing to question yourself about later

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I know what TDS represents. I bought a no waste RO system by watts and added a DI filter. Would not use anything else even though about $ 600 total. One less thing to question yourself about later
I assumed you did, but were asking why it was not on the report. I simply think they provided turbidity and the dissolved solids that they felt were important. I have not looked at our report to see if TDS is provided or not.

I built a low/no waste system run by a microcontroller. I use it, but it is really more for the novelty. I would be happy with a simple 4 stage given our relatively low TDS here.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2206.jpeg
Looks like your corals should glow more than normal.

OP
OP
H

henryriesett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed you did, but were asking why it was not on the report. I simply think they provided turbidity and the dissolved solids that they felt were important. I have not looked at our report to see if TDS is provided or not.

I built a low/no waste system run by a microcontroller. I use it, but it is really more for the novelty. I would be happy with a simple 4 stage given our relatively low TDS here.
What do you think about using this water though

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even de-chlorinated, I wouldn't use it; there's still too much unknown about your water to make a fair assessment. By using a RODI system, you ensure that you're starting from a place with 0 contaminants and then mixing in the minerals and other necessary things in the right proportions to sustain sea life via your salt mix.

Let's say you do go ahead and use it, later down the road you have issues with diatoms you can't seem to get rid of, or fish mysteriously dying, and then you come to the forums for assistance. Most of the replies will assume you're using RODI when you're not, which could send you down a wrong path. It's easier to mitigate problems up front.

Is there any particular reason you don't want to use a RODI system? I mean, you can pick up an RO Buddie Plus DI from AquaticLife for like $60, I'd say that's pretty cheap to know what it is you're putting into your tank...

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without actually testing what comes out of your tap, I would not use it. The water report is an annual report from the source. You have pipes, water towers and seasonal differences that can drastically change what comes out of your tap.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%
Back