What type of algea is this?

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...not really a newbie but figured I'd post it here so newbies may run across it. I've never encountered this type before so I wasn't sure.

I've battled the cyano algae before, green and red. This just doesn't look or feel like it.

Feels like a ball of snot but still has some structure to it. Kind of....like snot covered hair algae almost. Sorry the photo is so blue but my camera doesn't like the Phoenix bulb. It's a dark green algae. Someone said it might be "scum" algae and another said maybe turf. Doesn't look like any turf pictures I can find, and no info on "scum" can be found.

Any ideas what this might be? I have a GFO reactor on order so I don't have to deal with this crap any more. I do use RO but it's not the best (only a carbon and sediment filter with the RO membrane...good but not great. Will be replaced in November).

Thanks!

Side note: Can't beat the acan frag! Only cost $20! Need to get back to that store again...(Tropicorium for those Michigan/Ohio lurkers....I seeeeee you!)

DSC07518.jpg

sevonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you go to the trop and deal with the icp hacthet man you would know that they get there live rock from the ocean directly and that my be a mutant varity from the floriida area from non quarentine lr

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dino to me as well. Hard to tell from the pic though.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people soak the white egg crates in bleach then rinse for a while before using them to help cut back on algae growth on them.
It is from the leaching of phos and other chemicals from it that the egg crates attract algae.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My white egg crate was a hair algea magnet for a long time. Finally it encrusted with coraline and that was the end of that problem...then I nuked my tank with a kalkwasser reactor failure. Basically, If I was you, I'd take this problem, because as soon as you figure it out, it'll be something worse :)

waxy

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd really have to overdo the Kalkwasser to actually kill your tank.

Sounds pretty bad.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back