10g stomatopod(mantis shrimp) Tank

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this wonderful idea to start a Mantis Tank after seeing Travisurfer’s thread on nano-reef, so I started looking into all of the requirements a mantis shrimp has and what I could do to convince my mom to let me get one. Albeit I found out that they are amazing creatures and not shrimps at all! Also I found out that some species could break a tank’s glass and that kind of detoured me for a while. But when the store I volunteer at got one in, my interest sparked again, and I started feeding and generally taking care of it at the store. When he started doing really well and growing (yes we had him for a while, like 3 months) I decided to start planning a tank for him. I did a lot of research on the species and their behavior and when I found out that a ten gallon was not to small for a lot of species it got me excited.
So I got my 29 gallon(which was downgraded to the ten gallon) ready for a new inhabitant. I made sure everything was straight but when my friend told me he was getting a shipment of rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, I jumped up and down with excitement! This was where I was planning on getting my mantis shrimp from in the first place! But when I was told my mom wouldn’t let me buy stuff that had to be shipped I lost that plan of attack. I posted on Richard’s (the man who runs and operates TBS) forum to see if he would be able to throw in a mantis shrimp with my buddy’s order and he didn’t reply. I kind of lost hope in that and just started looking again locally for a suitable species. When I got the call I wanted from my friend who got the shipment, Steve, he started telling me about all the things that came in on the rock(luckily I have free mobile to mobile!) and at the end of the list (yes it was a long list!) I heard that he saw one more bag. He picked it up and read it aloud to me. “For your buddy” was written in sharpie on the outside of the bag and the contents were one (1) lime-green mantis shrimp coming in at about 2 ½ inches! Man was I excited! I told him I wouldn’t be able to get it for a day or two (me and my aquarium are working on a long distance relationship) and I asked him to bring it to the store. He agreed and I picked it up from him a day later(sooner that expected!). I got him to my tank and I acclimated him for all of about 15 minutes (thing about the acclimation when they hitchhike(and live) on the live rock they usually come from!) and let him loose my tank which also carries my clean up crew! After a couple dropped names I settled on Kermit and I left him in the tank for a week unsupervised. That’s where I’m at now; I feed him once a week (I know I know!!!) and I do my water changes! That’s about it!

Here is for all you picture hungry people!!!
(before the move)
IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

(and now)
IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xavier

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, it looks alot better now that everthing is open and i cleaned up the glass and such. These pics were taken like 10 minutes after i added everything to the tnak so i have to get some more up to date ones cause those were from last weekend

OP
OP
Xavier

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed him mysis for now he isnt that big (about 2 1/2 inches) so its hard for him to put a hit on any snail bigger than a cerith so the nass are safe for now but i also feed the occasional frozen shrimp that he doesnt like but im always looking for new stuff to feed Kermit. Next im going to find small "bad" crabs for him to fight

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kermit :D I love that name for him! Very cute little guy! Looking forward to seeing the progression with this tank!!

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool.... they are amazing creatures!

2.5inches for a lime green carribean mantis is prob its max adult size. i like the larger ones (but not too large), alot better than the smaller ones you never ever see.

i used to have (or maybe i still have) a lime green mantis from the south pacific for several years, but his adult size is barely 1". so he's quite small. and very shy, i never see him. and i havent seen him since september. so not very cool and interactive.

but i recently caught a 1inch smithii at a LFS that came as a hitchiker on my shrooms. i'm so excited!! he's wicked cool...allbeit small.

http://www.club-zoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4051

OP
OP
Xavier

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys (and girls) i got some new corals for Kermit's lair the other day i just have to upload the pictures to photobucket! but it will be comming soon, also i got a protien skimmer (forgot the venturi part so its only pushing water:() and i had a overflow of my tank!!! when i put the protien skimmer on the tank i refilled it and when the power went out the next mourning(yesterday!) i had about half a gallon dripping onto my power outlet:(!!!!! so when it started smoking i pulled the plug (would have pulled it anyways!) close call but i made the adjustments and all is well!

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Xavier, hope you were careful unplugging everything! That sounds very dangerous!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been there! LOL! I have been shocked more times than I can count. Literally at least 25times. LOL! Glad all is well.

OP
OP
Xavier

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishes2889: it is a cpr bak pak and i added some zoas like a GPE(single polyp) and some other cool ones that are hard to get a good pic of and a mushroom that has some really cool colors but had like 5 flat worms that i immediatly pulled out and ran under warm tap water to kill/get um off! no harm done!

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xavier

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on monday i was sick and home fromm school so i decided to go get "better" at coral oasis and since i had 40 bucks i figured i would get a thing or two but when i got there i saw that they had 5,10,15,20,25,and 30 dollar bins full of frags so i left with about 5 things:) here are some shots. here you go:)

when i first got it
IMG_0316.jpg

now
IMG_0325.jpg

when i first got it
IMG_0319.jpg

now
IMG_0326.jpg

when i first got it
IMG_0317.jpg

now
IMG_0327.jpg

when i first got it
IMG_0321.jpg

now
IMG_0329.jpg

OP
OP
Xavier

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry about the pics being so big but i did use photobucket:)
here are some more
IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

then i noticed i had a slight flatworm problem (i saw one on the glass but u know how that goes)so i got this guy for a whopping 7 bucks:)
IMG_0332.jpg

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking good, nice score on the frags and sixline

OP
OP
Xavier

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, totally forgot about this thread, sorry guys who cared, ohh wait.... nevermind

ok so the update for the last couple months was that i was doing bad in school so i had to get rid of everything, and my mom made me get rid of everything for free, so now my tank has been "empty" for a while so here are the new pics as well as some others

Back