1K Reef.... Miracles custom 1000 gallon aquarium 120”x60”x30”

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate your magnifica to your tank? Did you temp march then put in tank or something different?

I use the avast ozone and lifegard uv. Both are doing amazingly. Also use a dehumidifier I bought from Costco years ago still works well.
yep i agee, i got a new lifegard UV for the 300 and picked up a used (the biggest) Lifegard biopellet reactor. I like them both. I added (which I had from the 140) a Tunze 9430 to handle the output from the biopellet reactor. I made a small acylic box to put the Tunze in and have the output from the biopellet reactor going into the box so that the Tunze can process as much as the output as possible. The box then over flows (all four sides) into the large chamber where I have a the main (huge Reef Octupus ) skimmer.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much updates, my clams are doing good, the magnificas are doing ok, so are the haddonis. I cut lights down significantly after cyano and algae outbreak. The nems definitely aren’t the happiest as they need tons of light, but they are thriving.

I’ve been extremely busy with work and the tank has been on auto pilot (thankful)

No major issues or problems, other than dehumidifier going bad and high temps in summer.

My Anthias are little thin, and clowns are fat. I haven’t had any fish losses, maybe an occasional anthias or blue chromis but tangs are getting fat, clowns are happy, and all the reef critters are doing their part on the reef.

I’m battling sediment on rocks, I will try to get a picture but they are not clean, I don’t have snails or typical clean up crew just urchins. Maybe I need a huge clean up crew, but I love the fact that I don’t have shells all over sand bed, and at night time I don’t have a million snails on the glass any suggestions?

It’s been 8 months and reef is looking subpar maybe next year things will turn around and I will be able get a handle on things and devote more time to the reef and start growing more corals and fill out this huge tank and more fish.

I only have 2 convict tangs, 1 tomini tang, 1 twospot tang, and 1 clown tang.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m battling sediment on rocks, I will try to get a picture but they are not clean, I don’t have snails or typical clean up crew just urchins. Maybe I need a huge clean up crew, but I love the fact that I don’t have shells all over sand bed, and at night time I don’t have a million snails on the glass any suggestions?
Black sea cucumbers are awesome for turning over the sand bed and keeping it clean. Everything ignores them. They will occasionally (rare) climb a few inches up on the glass but prefer the sand bed.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had success with getting rid of cyno with hydrogen peroxide. Heard diy coral snow works as well. Once you’re past the 1.5 yr mark usually it goes away.

you could get a few Mexican turbo snails. They will do the job of dozens of assorted snails in short order. Then you won’t see a bunch.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until they're on the glass, that is. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Right! But for a thousand gallon tank what would a half dozen or so turbo snails really look like on a beast like that.

he would need at least a couple hundred of the others. I’ve got over 50+ in my nano.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! But for a thousand gallon tank what would a half dozen or so turbo snails really look like on a beast like that.

he would need at least a couple hundred of the others. I’ve got over 50+ in my nano.
Depends on where they decide to plaster themselves, lol.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just added some more snails to the 300....I think I have 30 ....doing a good job at helping keep algae down as the bio pellet and gfo begin to work soon....

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just added some more snails to the 300....I think I have 30 ....doing a good job at helping keep algae down as the bio pellet and gfo begin to work soon....
If you have stony corals in there, VERY important to go slow on removing nutrients. Hopefully you've heard this already and you are on it. Can get ugly. They have adapted slowly to a high nutrient environment (how high?) so don't rush things.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have stony corals in there, VERY important to go slow on removing nutrients. Hopefully you've heard this already and you are on it. Can get ugly. They have adapted slowly to a high nutrient environment (how high?) so don't rush things.
300 has fish only at this point cause I had to remove all the lava rock causing me issues so all the corals , lps and zoas are in another tank so I can slowly move them over after all the new marco and caribsea rock formations go through their thing...dealing with all the crap the lave rock leached so today another 110 gallon change...

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef relics lol

Attachments

• 01A90F79-044B-43F3-80C9-B271991AD909.jpeg
    01A90F79-044B-43F3-80C9-B271991AD909.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 72
  • 24C79498-3A08-4767-B2C8-D7FBBCC8B757.jpeg
    24C79498-3A08-4767-B2C8-D7FBBCC8B757.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:

I had cyano outbreak (May), waited too long to treat (Chemiclean 900gallon bottle) (August) cyano gone

Had green hair algae outbreak (September)
Bought two Sea hares three weeks later all of it gone. Ugly creatures, but great lawnmowers.

Dehumidifier failed after 6 months, bought new one with warranty this time.

With dehumidifier running it heats up small fish room and water temps are at 80-82 daily with out heaters. Humidity levels stay at 50% in fish room and 40% in display room and 60% in actual canopy about 12” above water level is where sensor is.

Still figuring out how to properly vent/cool/dehumidify the canopy and fish room.

Need fresh air circulation and ventilation in canopy to keep temps down and humidity lower.

Anemones added are doing great, I had one get sucked up by powerhead, very sad day. The rest are doing good.

UV/Ozone is awesome, very powerful water is crystal clear. Skimmer is doing great, still haven’t set up calcium reactor CRTT10000 as I have very little corals after cyano outbreak in May. My calcium levels are fine without it. Bummer because it’s just collecting dust.

I have a bunch of pin cushion urchins, brittle stars, serpent starts, sand sifting stars, diamond goby, lawnmower blenny, and two sea hares.

8DFF2CD2-7971-4F25-8F3E-5EABA69FD8F5.jpeg

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a larger Sohal tang or Achilles at the moment.

Holding off on coral for now until I get my params and temps stable. Once I dial that in, I will start buying more coral.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 57 41.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.1%
Back