60”x18” or 48”x24”?

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a new acrylic tank custom built but I’m not sure which dimensions to go for. I could either do 48”L x 24”W x 16”H or 60”L x 18”W x 16”H? Does moving up to the 5’ tank give me any better stocking options? Or should I go for the extra width and make scaping easier? They are both roughly the same volume just different footprint

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a new acrylic tank custom built but I’m not sure which dimensions to go for. I could either do 48”L x 24”W x 16”H or 60”L x 18”W x 16”H? Does moving up to the 5’ tank give me any better stocking options? Or should I go for the extra width and make scaping easier? They are both roughly the same volume just different footprint
Good question.
A lot will depend on what you plan to keep. If you might have several larger active swimmers (tangs, rabbit fish, etc), the extra length will be better. (Although the height might be an issue with larger fish - are you planning to use substrate or go bare bottom? Will you use a lid?)

The 16" height could be somewhat limiting for coral as well - I went from a standard 90 gallon (48x18, 24"tall) to a custom tank 60x30, 18" tall. I'm still glad I did (no more wet armpits!) but did not realize how much the height reduction would affect scaping, etc.

Either way, you'll make it work and I'm sure it will be awesome! Congrats on the new build!

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question.
A lot will depend on what you plan to keep. If you might have several larger active swimmers (tangs, rabbit fish, etc), the extra length will be better. (Although the height might be an issue with larger fish - are you planning to use substrate or go bare bottom? Will you use a lid?)

The 16" height could be somewhat limiting for coral as well - I went from a standard 90 gallon (48x18, 24"tall) to a custom tank 60x30, 18" tall. I'm still glad I did (no more wet armpits!) but did not realize how much the height reduction would affect scaping, etc.

Either way, you'll make it work and I'm sure it will be awesome! Congrats on the new build!
Honestly I currently have a 24” tank and I hate it because I’m short and can’t reach the bottom even with a step stool it’s a pain lol. I wouldn’t be growing full on colonies in there, more just somewhere to keep frags from my main tank. Still not sure on BB or sand.. but definitely will get a lid.

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the replies that posted while I was typing and I agree. Also consider your overflow... internal (my personal preference) will definitely cramp your style with the narrower tank.
I was thinking of going external, I honestly hate the look for an internal overflow

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I currently have a 24” tank and I hate it because I’m short and can’t reach the bottom even with a step stool it’s a pain lol. I wouldn’t be growing full on colonies in there, more just somewhere to keep frags from my main tank. Still not sure on BB or sand.. but definitely will get a lid.
If it's just going to be a frag tank, is there a reason you're looking to go custom? You should be able to save yourself a considerable amount of money by buying a pre-made frag tank.

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just going to be a frag tank, is there a reason you're looking to go custom? You should be able to save yourself a considerable amount of money by buying a pre-made frag tank.
All the drag tanks that I was looking at with this length were 6”-10”H and were AIO. I couldn’t find one that was 16” drilled for an external overflow so I can use a sump I already have. Both tanks were quoted around $1100 so price seemed fair. Maybe I’m just bad at google but I couldn’t find anything else in this price range

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main display is an AIO so I’m not sure how I’d plumb that. I did find a Zoo Med Lowboy Frag tank 50 Gallon locally for $123.99, is that a good price?
Snag it! These are defiantly hard to find. Within like 100 mile radius only one store has it for me at $150. These are not tempered glass so drilling is pretty easy. Just go slow. Or you can do a HOB for these. I've seen people do it with no issues.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’m just worried about the weight on that size. It would be 100 gallons + 30ish gallon sump
Weight gets distributed over square inches. Height remaining the same. The force on each square inch remains the same. I'm not a structural engineer but what I learned in college and been told by others who install tanks for a living back in the day. Doubt that's changed and I'm having to consider this as well for my upstairs QT/Grow out. Height being my biggest concern. Likely also going 16 or less. Might just go 12 for extra peace of mind. Then I can go longer and wider without fear my downstairs becomes a pool.

Place the sump on the floor so it doesn't exert more weight on the tank frame and option. Consider adding extra feet to disperse the wight. What my approach will be but I'm still speaking with an actual engineer and would suggest the same. Everyone's floor is different.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main display is an AIO so I’m not sure how I’d plumb that. I did find a Zoo Med Lowboy Frag tank 50 Gallon locally for $123.99, is that a good price?
Yeah, my 60 gallon 48"24"x12" was around $100 a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my 60 gallon 48"24"x12" was around $100 a couple of years ago.
Is that a size Zoo Med makes or different manufacturer? The one I found says 50 Gallon 48”24”10”

Attachments

• IMG_8091.jpeg
    IMG_8091.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 13

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 120 76.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 11.5%
Back