Adding water into tank

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im about to add in my Arag-alive sand and then add in my saltwater, I just have a few questions:

1. I only have 10 gallons of saltwater made (about 40% of what the tank needs) will that affect the live sand?

2. I'm pretty sure I am supposed to put in the return pump and heater before adding the water, but am I supposed to add in the filters as well?

3. My two buckets of water have slightly different salinity. Originally I put 2 cups of salt into each 5 gallon bucket of water and the first bucket read at 28 ppt and the second was only 24.6, I added a little more into the second and its now at 30.9. The funny thing is now the first bucket is reading 31.4 even though I did not add any extra salt. I mixed the salt by hand.

Thanks for the help, im very new to this so if there is any other generic advice you think a beginner should know I'd really appreciate the tip!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not adding any livestock your heater and return pump will be sufficient, and you can wait till you have more water in to turn them on. At 78° you should read 1.025 Salinity or approximately 35.4ppt. You can make adjustments in the tank once you have all the water in and the heater and return pump running.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back