AliExpress A8SE Reef Light

amarck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling any new tanks yet?! Every few weeks this thread comes up on my feed and I remember you were waiting on a few and I get excited for you lol
Shipping this week, had a delay but they compensated me. Ill let ya know :)

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been stuck in customs for a week now per the tracking. Maybe one day I might get it.
giphy.com-media-l0ExeAkpaMaEAuX5e-giphy-downsized.gif

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borrowed a friends par meter to do some reading on my tank and see how the A8/X30 lights perform and I am a bit disappointed at the numbers. This is a 4ft Waterbox 110.4 tank, I have 2 X30 blue lights mounted 8 inches above the water. I was running at about 60% (60% blue, 30% white) prior and the par measurements were BARELY 200 at the top and everywhere else was hovering at around 150-175. I bumped the intensity to 80% (80% blue, 40% white) and measured the par again and the result is shown at the below.
1715996524426.png

Honestly I was hoping for a lot more from a combined 430W total light. The 3x K7 Pro V2 @270W combined I had before with the 90 degree lens was able to throw a lot more light into my tank and the par readings shows it, from anywhere between 300-450 at the top half of my tank. The stock 120 degree lens creates too much light spillage and spreads the light too much. Sure, it creates a nice even blanket of light all across my tank, I need to crank the power all the way up just to be at the bare minimum par level for my needs.

I ordered the high intensity lens kit from Ecotech which hopefully helps in focusing the light into my tank and increasing the par levels. Will report back once I have it and tested it

Nightwatch-Swe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my 8pc X30 blues with MW powersupply, tank is a 240x80cm tank and without a good parmeter atm, i have them cruising at 40% blue and 20% white. The only comparison i have atm is my eyes and my 2 pc AI hydra 26HD in my RS 425 xl, and the hydras are no where close to this light output. i can get back to you when i use parmeter upcoming weeks.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borrowed a friends par meter to do some reading on my tank and see how the A8/X30 lights perform and I am a bit disappointed at the numbers. This is a 4ft Waterbox 110.4 tank, I have 2 X30 blue lights mounted 8 inches above the water. I was running at about 60% (60% blue, 30% white) prior and the par measurements were BARELY 200 at the top and everywhere else was hovering at around 150-175. I bumped the intensity to 80% (80% blue, 40% white) and measured the par again and the result is shown at the below.
1715996524426.png

Honestly I was hoping for a lot more from a combined 430W total light. The 3x K7 Pro V2 @270W combined I had before with the 90 degree lens was able to throw a lot more light into my tank and the par readings shows it, from anywhere between 300-450 at the top half of my tank. The stock 120 degree lens creates too much light spillage and spreads the light too much. Sure, it creates a nice even blanket of light all across my tank, I need to crank the power all the way up just to be at the bare minimum par level for my needs.

I ordered the high intensity lens kit from Ecotech which hopefully helps in focusing the light into my tank and increasing the par levels. Will report back once I have it and tested it

The xr30 radions sacrifice par for even coverage. Your second set of par numbers at 80/40 are pretty good readings imo. 175 on sand bed and 300+ at top of rock. I would be happy with that

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The xr30 radions sacrifice par for even coverage. Your second set of par numbers at 80/40 are pretty good readings imo. 175 on sand bed and 300+ at top of rock. I would be happy with that

I agree. Those numbers look pretty good to me. I mean, you're also at 80/40 for Blue/White, so you have room to turn them up even more.

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my light today but I have one little issue. The plug that goes from the wall to the brick is the wrong type of plug. I guess I need to find a plug that will fit it now before I can give it a test run.

ReeferOnBudget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am planning to buy this light. However, I am worried about two things if someone can help out:
-If there was a power outage, will the light lose all the configured settings? I am worried what will happen if am away for few days and this happens.
-I see there are app issues, if so, how do people manage to configure the light? anyone can explain the workaround and how complicated it is?

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am planning to buy this light. However, I am worried about two things if someone can help out:
-If there was a power outage, will the light lose all the configured settings? I am worried what will happen if am away for few days and this happens.
-I see there are app issues, if so, how do people manage to configure the light? anyone can explain the workaround and how complicated it is?
1. Mine retains settings just fine, looks like one user had this issue. There is a battery on the main board so I wonder if his was dead.

2. I just ignore the "update" packages. Really though once its programmed I generally don't touch it. The few issues I did have I reported them to the seller and they replied it was fixed which it was.

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Mine retains settings just fine, looks like one user had this issue. There is a battery on the main board so I wonder if his was dead.

2. I just ignore the "update" packages. Really though once its programmed I generally don't touch it. The few issues I did have I reported them to the seller and they replied it was fixed which it was.
You got lucky they sent mine with a Aus/NZ/Fiji plug in. I contacted them and they told me I should just go buy a adapter for it when they should send me the correct plug.

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got lucky they sent mine with a Aus/NZ/Fiji plug in. I contacted them and they told me I should just go buy a adapter for it when they should send me the correct plug.
That sucks. Mine came with a US plug on the Driver, I had the seller confirm that before I pulled the trigger. I like these ok but will probably swap them for the XR30 G5s I have sitting here so everything is accessible in my Apex.

ReeferOnBudget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks RoanokeReef, for the second point. you said not to update the app, then you said the seller fixed the issues. How would i get these fixes if I don't update the app?

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks RoanokeReef, for the second point. you said not to update the app, then you said the seller fixed the issues. How would i get these fixes if I don't update the app?
Sorry for wording it confusing. The App is updated via your app store but when you open it the app itself does updates they call update packs. The only time I run them is if I have a problem and they have said they fixed it. Ive only had two issues and they fixed them in April, currently the "Update Pack" is on 5/21. I also keep the app installed on my phone which isn't updated past April for update packs and I have it installed on my iPad which I sometimes update to see the progress they make on the APP. Hope that makes more sense.

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well time to open mine up. It will not keep the time. So I will open it and change out the battery. Then for the app I can not get it to run my lights. I set the time for on and off the colors are set but I don’t see a run button or anything like that to get it working. So far I am not to impressed with it.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have issues where the light would lose track of time randomly and turn on the light? This have happened to me twice now since owning the light. I have to open the app go into the light setting and update its internal clock.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back