All for Reef maintenance dose

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Been using all for reef to fine tune my Alk/Mag/Cal levels. Now that they are in the range of where I want them to stay, how much all for reef should I be dosing now to keep these parameters stable? I have a 50 Gallon Tank. Thank you.

Alk: 10 d/kh
Cal: 479 ppm
Mag: 1400 ppm

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it depends on your system & husbandry practices to the types of animals you’re housing. I will suggest in collecting data for a couple of weeks in order to see how often parameters drop & how much of a dose does it take to readjust. The data will give you a clear picture of how much & how often, you go from there to create a steady flow & lock in the system. Hope that helps & makes sense.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It depends on your consumption.

I dose 12.5 mL in a 40 gallon breeder, 50 mL in a 250 gallon system, and 10 mL in a 115 gallon system.

Start dosing as specified in the bottle and measure parameters after 24 hrs, if values have gone down, dose needs to increase. If values have stayed the same, you can continue dosing as you are and make adjustments (increase or decrease) when you start to see fluctuations.

OP
OP
M

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it depends on your system & husbandry practices to the types of animals you’re housing. I will suggest in collecting data for a couple of weeks in order to see how often parameters drop & how much of a dose does it take to readjust. The data will give you a clear picture of how much & how often, you go from there to create a steady flow & lock in the system. Hope that helps & makes sense.
Should I use the daily drop of of Alkalinity or Calcium as my reference point?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your consumption.

I dose 12.5 mL in a 40 gallon breeder, 50 mL in a 250 gallon system, and 10 mL in a 115 gallon system.

Start dosing as specified in the bottle and measure parameters after 24 hrs, if values have gone down, dose needs to increase. If values have stayed the same, you can continue dosing as you are and make adjustments (increase or decrease) when you start to see fluctuations.
when you first start using this should you make any adjustment with your levels to have them exactly where you want them? I am going crazy now using brs and trying to dial in my exact dosage! I have been looking for a simpler alternative anyway since I hand dose. From what I have read this sounds pretty easy!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
when you first start using this should you make any adjustment with your levels to have them exactly where you want them? I am going crazy now using brs and trying to dial in my exact dosage! I have been looking for a simpler alternative anyway since I hand dose. From what I have read this sounds pretty easy!
Yes. I adjusted to where I wanted my levels and then I started using AFR as described on the bottle. Testing every 24 hrs at the same time (it takes about that long since the alkalinity release happens over the course of 24 to 48 hrs to really see how your tank is reacting to it). I stopped increasing the daily dose when my values steadied which took about 1 week or so. I test alkalinity now about 1 a week on an acro heavy tank and that’s enough to allow me to dial levels up slowly if I need to (high consumption tank that shifts on me sometimes). I check about 1 per month for my LPS/softy tank and that one stays rock solid; hasn’t needed any adjustments for months. My big tank is connected to a trident so it really helped me to see how stable it maintains it and I absolutely love and swear by it. If you see explosive growth then monitor a bit more frequently. Otherwise, you can almost go on autopilot.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's an overblown need. If calcium is substantially low, boost it with calcium chloride. AFR dosed appropriately can fix low alk if need be.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I adjusted to where I wanted my levels and then I started using AFR as described on the bottle. Testing every 24 hrs at the same time (it takes about that long since the alkalinity release happens over the course of 24 to 48 hrs to really see how your tank is reacting to it). I stopped increasing the daily dose when my values steadied which took about 1 week or so. I test alkalinity now about 1 a week on an acro heavy tank and that’s enough to allow me to dial levels up slowly if I need to (high consumption tank that shifts on me sometimes). I check about 1 per month for my LPS/softy tank and that one stays rock solid; hasn’t needed any adjustments for months. My big tank is connected to a trident so it really helped me to see how stable it maintains it and I absolutely love and swear by it. If you see explosive growth then monitor a bit more frequently. Otherwise, you can almost go on autopilot.
That's an overblown need. If calcium is substantially low, boost it with calcium chloride. AFR dosed appropriately can fix low alk if need be.
I am about sick of testing and testing trying to get my level right! I am sick of alkalinty getting white spots on my floor. I am sick of trying to get the pumps (that come with brs jugs to squirt the right amount into my beakers! I am sick of waiting between hand dosing!

I think I am ordering some today!

@ Randy Holmes-Farley remember when my hanna checker was over by almost 4 dkh and I was asking you how to get alk down? Thank God I didn't! Anyway because of the checker I had it on a roller coaster ride. I had quit dosing because every time I checked it was high or within range so I quit dosing.

Anyway i am finially getting the dosing almost right on my tanks. My new corals are a bit stressed. Old ones fine but I idint want to put them through anymore stress trying to figure this method out but I just cant take it anymore!

Dosnt seem to be anything out there easier or better! Plus I was about ready to order dosing pumps for both my tanks so this will save me money. Just hope I dont stress my corals any further!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back